Search

Best hotel in PDC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best hotel in PDC?

My husband and I are going on vacation in May and think we've picked Playa del Carmen as our base. What's the nicest, best hotel on the beach? We'd prefer small to huge, but are open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot!!

Amanda
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM

Not sure how you define "nicest and best." If you want an AI, Royal Hideaway is the highest rated resort in the area. There are other very upscale resorts such as Maroma, Ikal del Mar and a couple of others I can't name (look at differentworld.com - great resource)but they are not right in PDC. Shangri-La Caribe is a nice smaller resort and has a beautiful beach, but I wouldn't rate it the best.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:16 AM

Are you looking for AI or not?
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Not necessarily looking for an AI, but haven't ruled it out either.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:14 AM

I suggest you look at Hotel El Faro. It is right on the beach in the middle of PDC and might fit the bill. It is a lovely, small hotel. www.hotelelfaro.com).
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Check out the Playa Maya. Right on the beach, has a restaurant, near 5th Ave for shopping. At that time of year you can get a nice room for $600/week. A great website is www.playadelcarmeninfo.com
If you book through their website you get a playa "deal" card which saves you lots of money on some great restaurants.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:15 AM

Careful of El Faro! They are going to close soon for a long period of time. Even El Faro could not clarify how long or when. I really wanted to book there for an upcoming trip, but will stay at Playa Maya instead because of the uncertainty of having a room.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 09:01 AM

We stayed at HOtel Deseo last winter, which was really nice. We had an oceanfront suite, huge and very nicely decorated.. The hotel is actually one block away from the beach, located right on the main strip, but it didn't bother us one bit...
If you're young, meaning under 50, this is the place to be in PDC....

Enjoy
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM

Went to Gala last year as an Apple Tour. We are picky eaters and loved the food (esp. in ther reservation required restaurants). Great for our 2 yr. old but also saw couples w/o kids. Disco at night if you choose. Excellent beach--very nice. Can take scuba excursion from place next to hotel. Also one of the more reasonably priced. Our room was in the haciendas at back of the resort but they were very quiet, beautifully landscaped and had semi-private plunge pool. Took a day trip in a rented car to Mayan ruins (might recommend taking tour bus instead . Had a great vacation!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:16 AM

Last April we went to Gran Porto Real. It was wonderful!! Great food and it is small, but not too small. Has a nice pool and is right on the water. Be sure to get a JR. Suite on the water. We loved Playa del Carmen. We also took an Eco-tour that was fantastic.