Belize Honeymoon: Hamanasi, Robert's Grove, Kanantik, or Hamanasi

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the replies to the location post for our honeymoon in October 2008. We want a mixture of beach and land tours. We're down to three resorts-

1) Hamanasi- Love the idea of more seclusion and the treehouses.

2) Kanantik- Has private cabanas, more on-site activities.

3) Roberts Grove- The most resort activities- kayaks, tennis- but don't have private cabanas. Seems a bit bigger at 50+ rooms, but it will be low season. Fiance likes to windsurf and we see they have equipment- anyone know how the wind is in October?

Thoughts? And thanks so much!!!

Emily
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I can't post without some kind of typo... Maybe subconsciously I'm really wanting Hamanasi????
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM

Not sure where Kanantik is but Robert's Grove and Hamanasi are not in the same area.

Do you want to be in Hopkins or Placencia? Can't go wrong with either area, but they are quite different.

Enjoy your honeymoon. Belize is wonderful!

Old May 4th, 2008, 03:03 AM

Hamanasi has kayaks. Windsurfing is not available at the resort but considering we found it catered to our every request I would not be surprised if they could not arrange it in Hopkins area (only a 10 mile radius overs Hokins and other towns. You can easily email Elizabeth and ask. She usually responded in 2 days or less. You can ask her if Oct. is generally a windy month. I can tell you Jan. was not.
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Linda and Stan. We're planning this honeymoon pretty fast and the help is much appreciated!

Kanantik is closed in Sept/Oct, and we're wanting one of the cabanas vs. just a room, so I think Roberts will be out too. Turtle Inn and the Chabil Mar Villas didn't really grab me, so I think we're going to Hopkins!!

Can't believe we missed the Almond Beach/Jaguar resort, too. Stan, thanks for the feedback on the kayaks- you have great reviews of Hamanasi, and it's encouraging to hear!

Hamanasi- Looks much more secluded and quiet
Almond- Has the zip line as part of their romantic tour package

Other than that, both look very comparable, even down to the $. Both get rave reviews on TripAdvisor and the articles I have found. We would be happy with either.

Fiance is fine with not windsurfing- and its not what Belize is known for, so we want to enjoy the jungle, ruins, and snorkel.
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Ah, and one more factor between the two-- the Almond romance package includes alcohol, the Hamanasi one doesn't. Same price. Which wouldn't be too big of a deal- we have a cocktail or a glass of wine here and there- but it's a difference.

I do have an email in to Hamanasi about zip lining.
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Not to confuse you even more but...
I believe the Jaguar Reef Lodge is the sister resort of Almond Beach Resort. They are right next to one another. You mentioned private cabanas - JRL has duplex cabanas and if menmory serves correct - they don't have shared porches.

I remember seeing a couple who must have been on their honeymoon - saw them a couple times having dinner - once on the porch of their cabana and another time having dinner on the beach (very romantic).

We stayed at JRL. When I went over to the Almond pool, I did not even realize I was at a different resort -- I just thought JRL had 2 pools. Actually, did not know they were 2 different resorts until I got home and came across the Almond Beach Resort on the internet.

Don't get the wrong impression however, both places were full when we were there but it was still very private. Neither place has very many rooms. You can find a lot of privacy -- especially romantic on the beach at night.

From looking on the web, the only thing I think may be different is the rooms at the Almond Beach Resort may be a little nicer.

I thought our room at JRL was very nice. Not at all plush but we got a real feel of being in Belize.

We loved the staff and everything about the JRL. The tours are a blast, the prices are a great value, and the site is off the beaten-path of tourism.

If you are interested in real plush, on the other side of the JRL, there is a very upscale place called Belizean Dreams.

You may want to read my trip report titled "Jaguar Reef Belize Trip Report".