Belize for 10 days in March '11

Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize for 10 days in March '11

We randomly bought frequent flyer tickets to Belize for next March since they were going for low mileage (yay!). Belize has been on my wish list, though, admittedly I hadn't done a whole lot of research about it prior to buying the tickets. I've read tons of trip reports over the past few days and am super excited about the trip, but I need help with an itinerary. I know we have a LONG time before we leave, but here is what I am thinking for the 9 nights we have:

Jungle - leaning toward Chaa Creek from the reviews on here
Tikal - La Lancha - has anyone stayed there?
Ambergris Caye - Phoenix or Victoria House - thoughts?

Is it feasible to do all 3 in 9 nights? If so, how long would you recommend spending in each place?

Is it easy to get a driver to take us from the jungle to Flores? I'm thinking we would then fly from Flores to Ambergris Caye, however, I can't find the fares on the Tropic Air website.

We love all kinds of outdoor activities -- hiking, rafting, water sports, etc. -- and don't enjoy just sitting on the beach (at least not for very long). My husband dives and would love to do it in Ambergris, but I will just be snorkeling. Despite my love for the outdoors, I must admit to being totally bug-phobic. I have survived trips to other exotic places so am hoping I will be able to handle the critters of the jungle in Belize
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM

All great choices. Chaa Creek is perhaps the best lodge if its kind in the region and offers day trips to Tikal. La Lancha is in a lovely spot in a reserve on the lagoon about 35 mins from Tikal with howler monkeys in the trees. Phoenix is a very good condo hotel on the edge of town with a sea wall. Victoria House is about the best beachfront inn in Belize less than 2 miles from town. Lots to do in all these areas including Maya sites, caves with artifacts, zip lines, rainforest hiking and mtn biking, waterfalls, diving, snorkeling, fishing, kayaking,, river cave tubing, but not white water rafting. Critters and bugsare not usually a problemm, less so in March with breezes and much less rain. March is one of my fqavorite months temp-wise.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:40 AM

I'm thinking we would then fly from Flores to Ambergris Caye, however, I can't find the fares on the Tropic Air website.

I'm not having problems pulling up the schedule and fares on tropicair.com. It will show Flores to Belize Intl to San Pedro.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Check out the ATM cave as well; it gets consistently good reviews.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Yes it would be feasible to do that in 9 nights. I haven't been to Tikal but would probably split it 3 nights Cayo, 2 nights Tikal, 4 nights Ambergris. I agree that bugs shouldn't be much of a problem in March. Feb/Mar is a great time of year to travel to Belize.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM

I'd probably only do a day trip to Tikal. We loved Chaa Creek and Ambregris as well. I'm one who doesn't like to keep changing hotels and staying at three different places in 9 nights just would feel too rushed for my personal taste. Too much packing and unpacking.

The day trip to Tikal was great. I'm sure there is much more to explore and I'd certainly go back someday if I could, but it was not too long of a day and the trip allowed for a great amount of time there. It wasn't too crowded and we never felt rushed.

And definitely look into the ATM cave tour while your at Chaa Creek, or wherever you stay in the Cayo. It was an incredible day!

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Tropic Air is $114.00pp plus $40.00 in airport and tixs taxes=US$154.00pp. Ambergris is $126.00 round trip from Belize Intl.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi all - Thanks so much for the great input.

Katie - You're right, I was finally able to get to the fares -thanks! Do you know how far La Lancha is from Chaa Creek and the best way to arrange for a driver? It looks like the tour of Tikal with La Lancha is pretty pricey. Is it easy to get a driver/guide that is not arranged through the resort?

I am leaning toward 3 jungle, 2 lake/Tikal and 4 Ambergris like Patty suggests. We actually like a change of scenery every few days and it sounds like there are some things to do at La Lancha besides just visiting Tikal so 2 nights seems right. I am definitely going to look into the ATM cave tour - that sounds right up our alley.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 08:05 PM

My photos and recommendations for Belize are here:
http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Have a great trip and be sure to tell us all about it!