February/ March sun in Belize

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:01 AM
Andie3

February/ March sun in Belize

We're thinking about going to Belize in February or March 2003, but I've been a little reluctant to pursue plans, because of reports people have given me about intense sunburns as well as bugs that time of year. I grew up in Florida but am a fair redhead. I don't want to spend my trip burned and miserable. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences or opinions. Thanks so much!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
Lan Sluder

Anywhere you go in the tropics and sub-tropics you are going to have fairly intense sun. Belize is a little closer to the equator than Florida, at around 18 degrees latitude, but basically the sun intensity is about the same as in South Florida. I'd just suggest you take plenty of 30 sun lotion.

Bugs? What bugs? Seriously, depending on where you go you may not even see a mosquito at that time of year. Again, anywhere in the sub-tropics and tropics you are going to find a wide variety of life forms, but there are areas of Belize, such as Cayo district, where there are so few bugs that jungle lodges don't even have screens on their windows.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:30 AM
pjr

Hello:

I was in Belize the first week in March 2001. I am also a redhead, and cannot spend time in the sun without sunblock on. I did get slightly burn the day we went out to the reef to snorkel. I think that was partly my fault becuase I did not reapply sunblock as often as I should. This was at the end of our trip. Before that I just kept reapplying sunblock (30) and I was fine. As for bugs, we were in the Cayo district for the week and had to apply replent during the day, a couple of the days, because of the mosquitos. Overall I really enjoyed the trip.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:20 AM
kate

I'm a redhead too and have been to Belize 6 times. You will be fine as long as you are extremely disciplined about re-applying sunblock, especially when you are on the water. As for bugs, they don't bother me as long as I wear deet. But I rearely get bug bites anywhere I go...

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:30 AM
x

february or march...in case you are fans of lobsters...lobster season ends on february 14

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
katie valk

Wear a light weight t shirt when snorkeling.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
xyz

Plenty of bugs in Hopkins area

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:59 PM
Andie3

Thanks to all of you for everything you wrote. I loved hearing from other redheads, too! Just today, a few things happened that shifted our travel plans. We're now heading to Morocco that same time next year. Hopefully, though, we'll be able to plan a Belize trip while the country is still relatively unaffected by tourists. Anyway, again, thanks so much for all your posts. Andrea