Search

Belize extension?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize extension?

Hi everyone,

So about 2 months ago, I bought some crazy cheap tickets to Belize. I was planning on visiting for about 4 days and then flying back. I booked a package at Crystal Paradise that includes a whole bunch of tours in the jungle.

Last week I got laid off - which is a blessing for me really. So I'm thinking about extending my vacation. Since I don't have a job, I'd like to keep it cheap.

What should I do? Should I stay in Belize? Should I jump to Costa Rica? Is there a town that I could just show up in and hang out for a few days? I'm pretty open to ideas.

I'm a 26 y/o woman, and I'll be traveling alone so please take security into account.

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Jumping to CR is costly, check fares with TACA. I'd depart CPR (good choice) and hit the beaches of Caye Caulker or Placencia, where you can find safe clean budget rooms.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Great advice from Katie. Have a wonderful trip, whatever you decide, and be sure to tell us all about it.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
AlJ

Here's a link to our trip reports and pictures from Belize.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/belize%20trips.htm

There's a lot of pictures of Caye Caulker here and pics from one trip to Ambergris Caye. They should give you a sense of what the two places are like.

The San Ignacio 2005 button takes you to that part of a trip where we spent 3 nights at Crystal Paradise. We enjoyed it and were treated very well.

My daughter spent a couple of months on Caye Caulker and loved it.

Sorry you got laid off. Hope it all works out well for you after you get back. No reason you shouldn't love Belize
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help...I'm pretty sure I'm going to extend my trip at this point. It's mostly a matter of spending the time on the phone with Orbitz to make it happen (sigh).

I think jumping to another country is a lot of work, and I'm mostly just looking to drink beer and take some pictures. So I'll probably keep it simple and stay in Belize.

I looked at some of the pictures (thanks AIJ!), and so far I'm leaning towards Caye Caulker - for no particular reason really, it just seems like the kind of place I'd enjoy. Anybody got any info that might sway me otherwise?

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM

I prefer Ambergris to Caulker simply because it is larger. More options for food and drink. Although Caulker will have plenty for a few days stay.

The beaches are better on Ambergris, and you can walk or bike for miles.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM

My family and I returned yesterday from a wonderful trip to Belize. A woman we met told me she really enjoyed Crystal Paradise. Travel is down in Belize so you will be able to show up and get a room. If you can afford it, go to Tikal and Mountain Ridge/ Caracol, Barton Creek was nice. Placencia was just OK and it was rainy, we would probably leave that off next time. We stayed 3 nights in Ambergris and my 20 something daughters really enjoyed the snorkeling and wished we had stayed there longer. Belize is not cheap but by asking around and negotiating you can save money. the people are very nice. I think the buses are crowded, we rented a truck (expensive) which you need for the secondary roads. Enjoy
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM

I say stay in Belize! and go to Caye Caulker! It is so laid back, after a day on the island, you will forget all about getting laid off! I went there last year alone (25 female), and had the time of my life. (I will tell you though.. the island men are very charming also, there is a lot of budget lodging.

Also, my mom and have stayed at Crystal Paradise Resort and cannot say enough good things about them! The food was amazing! And we loved the tours.

I spent over 3 weeks in Belize last year, so feel free to email me with any questions you may have!