Belize - Ambergris Caye

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Cindy

Belize - Ambergris Caye

Hi - I'm taking a quick 4-day trip to Ambergris Caye and am trying to decide between flying all the way in to San Pedro or alternatively, flying into Belize city and taking the water taxi.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
sarah

good question, and do you need a reservation for the water taxi or just show up?

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Ravi

Hi,
Depends on the fare. Flying or water taxi between Belize city & San Pedro is cheap. The advice I got from Belize Consul General, is to take water taxi and enjoy the whole trip its wonderful, flying would miss the beauty.
Water taxi run frequently, from what I was told, no reservation needed

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Lan Sluder

The water taxi (most leave from the Marine Terminal near the Swing Bridge, US$12.50 one-way to San Pedro) is pleasant on a nice, sunny low-wind day. On other days it can be a rough, wet ride of 1 1/4 hours.

Most people prefer the convenience of flying from the International Airport (20 minutes, US$46) though you save about half by flying from Municipal. Flying at a low altitude gives you a different perspective on the sea and cayes and if anything you see more beauty from the air than in a boat.

I'd consider doing both -- fly one way, water taxi the other.

--Lan Sluder
San Pedro Cool, Fodor's Belize & Guatemala, Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize, Adapter Kit: Belize, etc.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Lan Sluder

I should have added that while you can make reservations, as a practical matter the water taxis are first-come first-served. Sometimes boats are full. They run every hour and a half or so.

--Lan Sluder

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Owen O'Neill

On my visit I went to Caye Caulker and did what Lan suggests - I took the flight out from Belize Municipal and then took the water taxi back on my return trip. The flight out to the cayes is fantastic as you get a great view of the islands and water. My purpose in flying out was because I stayed in Belize City the night before and flying out was the only way I could get out there early enough to start my scuba class on the day of arrival. Worked out nicely but I really did enjoy the water taxi ride back in.