A few questions on Belize/Ambergris Caye

Aug 15th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Paula

A few questions on Belize/Ambergris Caye

My husband and I have decided on a last minute trip to Belize. Leaving 4 weeks from today! But, I'm just starting my research so I have some questions.

1. Please tell me how to pronounce Ambergris. I've heard versions from my neighbor and my travel agent. I'd like to know for sure!
2. We'll be flying into Belize City and arriving at 1:20 PM. Should we arrange for the little commuter plane to take us to Ambergris, or should we take the water taxi? Are there other options? If it's raining (it will be mid-September), would the boat or plane be a better choice?
3. It seems as though the lodging costs are pretty reasonable, but how are the food and drink costs? I'm trying to budget what we'll spend and I don't have any idea.
4. Is tourista generally a problem in Belize generally or Ambergris Caye specifically?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!
Paula

Aug 15th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Lan Sluder

Ambergris Caye is locally pronounced Am-BURR-Griss Key or sometimes Am-BURR-Jess Key. A lot of people just say San Pedro when they refer to the island.

Most people seem to prefer flying. It's just a 20-minute flight and gives you a nice view of the Caribbean as you fly to the island. You can save money by flying out of Municipal rather than the International Airport -- around US$26 one-way instead of around $48 -- but with two people it's probably not worth the extra hassle, as you have to take a taxi (US$17.50) from one airport to the other. If you want to take a water taxi, I'd recommend the ones at the new Fort Point Tourist Village. You take a taxi there (US$17.50) and then the water taxi is US$12.50 per person one-way. If it's raining or windy it can be a pretty rough ride of about 75 minutes.

Food and drink costs also are reasonable on the island. There's a wide variety of restaurants from street vendors (they are safe and good) where you can eat for a dollar or two to local restaurants where a nice filling dinner might be US$6-8 to more upscale places where you can spend US$20-$35 a person for a great dinner. Local drinks -- rum and Belikin beer -- are moderately priced. A rum and tonic is around Us$2 to $2.50. Imported booze is more.

Belize and in particular Ambergris Caye have a pretty high standard of health and hygiene. You can drink the water adn drinks with ice and eat just about anything without concern. If you prefer it, bottled water is available at all stores.

--Lan Sluder
<Author of San Pedro Cool, the guide to Ambergris Caye, and five other books on Belize>

Aug 15th, 2002, 12:59 PM
x

we stayed at a budget/moderate hotel on the beach, ate out twice a day and have several drinks during the day & evening. we probably spent about
$30-40 US per day per person. We were not holding back at all. i personally enjoy the water taxi ride (plus i'm cheap. maybe take the plane over there and then you could take the taxi back. if you are delayed at all on your flight or at the airport, it might be tight trying to catch the last water taxi (around 4:00). have fun. don't pay in advance for anything cause if the weather turns bad, you may want to head inland.

Aug 15th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Sari

I took the water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris. It was fun and cheap.

Aug 16th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Sandra

From the Iternational airport we took a short plane ride to San Pedro. Very quick, convinient and inexpensive

Aug 25th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Sarah

We can't wait to go back to Belize/Ambergris Key. Amber-pronounced as we do the stone "amber" then gris is pronounced "grease".
They are very clean conscience. We ate almost everything, everywhere with no problems. You can ask where to eat. Ellis is the best I'd say. We went to Mickey's for breakfast-usually a lobster omelete. Belican beer is awesome. Bottled water is everywhere. You can jump in whatever pool no one cares. Where are you staying?
The ferry only makes 2 trips a day. Their schedule is in the Travel Guides at places like Books A Million. You'll probably have to fly. The Mayan Ruin trip up the river was great, as was the snorkeling outing. We never regreted a penny we spend on them-memories!
Have a blast!

Aug 25th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Lan Sluder

Just to clarify another response, there are now about 10 to 12 water taxi trips a day from Belize City to San Pedro. There are now two main locations from which the ferries/water taxis leave -- the new Tourist Village and the old Marine Terminal.

I think the reference to "Ellis's" is probably to Elvi's, a touristy but well-established place to eat in San Pedro.

--Lan Sluder