Notices

Car Rental in Chile

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:17 AM
lstre

Car Rental in Chile

We are planning on renting a car in either Temuco or Puert Montt. Any suggestions on how to get a good rate? Do any of the coupon codes for Hertz or Avis work for Chile? Any other discounts? Is it cheaper to reserve a car from the US or can you get a better deal at the counter? Is there an extra charge or any problems taking a car into Argentina? Thanks.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:46 AM
lstre

ttt

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Jim

I found it substantially cheaper to bet a fly drive package when I went to Chile.

Taking a car in to Argentina is a bit of a hastle. You have to get a special note from the car hire frim. They cannot always issue this in out of the way places but certainly can in Santiago. A permnit costs $100. Aside from that there is a lot of beauraucracy at the border point but it is pretty straight forward.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:22 PM
lstre

Some of the car rental agencies say no cars are permitted to drive into Argentina, others say only if 'certain' cars are available at the time of rental and then its an extra $200+ for 1-3 days. What gives?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:05 AM
John

Alamo allows you to drive into Argentina and so will a few others of the big multinationals. Most firms won't allow entry to Argentina though.

Basically if you have an accident in Argentina it is a right hastle for the car hire firm. There is some strange law that if you drive the car out of the country you are responsible for bringing it back in. If you have a crash in Argentina and jump on a plane and leave South America the car hire firm is in a right pickle. They can't bring the car back in to Chile because you aren't with it. They can get around this silly law but it involves solicitors and lots of legal costs. That is very roughly the problem - consult a Chilean lawyer if needs be.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:50 AM
mike

My wife and I just returned from a 2 week drive through Chile & Argentina. We rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Budget in Santiago, drove through the Lakes District, then into Bariloche (no problems crossing the border), Crossed back to Chile at Futaleufu, Down the Carterra Austral, and finished in Coyhaique. The drive took 9 days, Total Price $1600. The permit for Argentina was $167, the drop off charge was $600. I would say it was one of the funnest things my wife and I have ever done. Coupons (from USA) don't work at Budget. Hertz is the most expensive, Prices will be the same at the counter or if you reserve in the US. When we flew into Punta Arenas I got a pathfinder at the counter..Price was the same at $120 per day. MY ADVICE: Don't be scared off by driving in Chile...Its too easy and totally safe, and don't be afraid to drop the big cash for a car...It's really expensive, but in the end worth every penny!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:49 AM
JP

We rented cars at both Temuco (Avis) and Puerto Montt (Hertz) last month. Booking on the company web sites, I found that sometimes discount codes worked and sometimes they didn't. Avis in particular was more likely to say that a "Leisure" rate was not discountable further. Despite this, of the two our Avis car in Temuco was less expensive (and we were happier with their whole operation, too).

Your chances of finding a good rate on the spot depend in part on whether you are at the airport. We were traveling by surface and were using the downtown offices. These are very small operations, and sometimes only bother to be open if they know someone is going to be picking up or dropping off a car. Airport locations are more likely to stay open, at least around flight arrival and departure times. Of course you always risk the possibility that you will choose a busy day to arrive and there won’t be any cars available at all.