Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Belgrano or Recoleta for first-time visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of these neighborhoods provides a more authentic look into local life, without being too far removed (or at least near a subway) from the touristy stuff that a visitor can't miss? thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Since it is your first visit, I would recommend Recoleta (or Barrio Norte, which includes Recoleta and the surrounding area) simply because it is more centrally located. Since you want a more "authentic look" at local life, you might want to look at a hotel away from the Village de Recoleta (near the cines, restaurant row and the cemetary). This part of Recoleta is more touristy.....

The hotel Belair or Art Suites are out of the center of the touristy parts, but within walking distance....The Belair Hotel is near Plaza Vincente Lopez, which offers an authentic look at life in upscale Buenos Aires. Try afternoon tea and a brownie while sitting outside at Nucha...or wander down to Libertad and try Gran Bar Danzon for happy hour or dinner...or wander up and down Santa Fe shopping with Portenos.....

Belgrano is a bit more removed, but about as authentic as it gets.....ave. Cabildo is an extension of Santa Fe and the shops that line the street have a neighborhood feel. Depending on where you locate in Belgrano, the subway is nearby offering access to downtown. Lots of great restaurants in Belgrano, including a couple of Chinese places in China town.....

So, if you don't mind riding the subway and you speak passable Spanish....Belgrano might work for you.....

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks drdawggy! That was quick!! So I am under the impression that you think Belgrano, while a good place for the authentic porteno experience, is too far, even if you are near a subway (how long is the subway ride into the center?). And Recoleta would be your top recommendation? Or is Palermo better? We do lots of walking, cafe lounging, etc. We were considering Art Suites-- also had gathered on this site that Design Suites is nice. I wrote to Cintia and she had suggested Cabildo Suites in Belgrano, but I thought it might be too far removed. Your thoughts?
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I am in the USA and on vacation after a long stay in Buenos Aires on business. I miss BA, and check in here often to see what people are saying about one of my favorite places....hence my fast response.

As you probably know....Recoleta/Barrio Norte is closest to the city center....Palermo adjoins Barrio Norte and Belgrano adjoins Palermo. You are probably not more than 20 minutes away from Plaza de Mayo via subway from Belgrano...15 from Palermo....or 10 from Recoleta. Recoleta is within easy walking distance of downtown. Neither of the other areas are within walking distance, but if your interests run toward cafes...each barrio has its own!

Where are you thinking about staying in Palermo? Since you are looking at suites hotels, Cristforo Colombo Suites ? If so, the hotel is close to the subway and in a good area. The furniture is dated, but clean.

Cabildo Suites. Friendly staff, but the hotel itself is not nearly as new or as nice as Art Suites, which is much more of an Apart hotel than the other locations you mention. Unless the price is alot less, Art Suites is more convenient to most things and a nicer place.

Design Suites is located on Marcelo T. De Alvear in Barrio Norte. The one complaint people have about this hotel is that some rooms can be very noisey....especially the junior suites....the two room suites are supposed to be quieter.

Cintia is a good travel agent. You can trust her judgement. She used to live in Belgrano, so I am sure she can tell you how long it takes to get to various places on the subway.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:09 PM

i myself live in Belgrano district and of course i will give you the best opinion about it. I live only 2 blocks from Cabildo and i am 5`s walk to the subway. This is a middle class neighbourhood where you can see very nice areas with very good level and others which are not that high

But if you stay is very short i would honestly recommend recoleta o plaza san martin. There are more things to do, more places to visit.It is also true more tourists than locals. I know the 2 hotels in Belgrano mentioned here both being very near the subway but i sincerely dont think that Belgrano is a good option for a short stay.
It is an excellent option for people who stay for a long period, quiet, convenient and nice. The best advantage is that it is far away from any demonstration that makes up the typical picture of this buenos aires nowadays.
lots of luck

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:01 PM

I just came back! recoleta is safer to stay, it's near almost everything you need to see in buenos aires. about hotels I needed three rooms (family trip) so I choosed the arthotel new clean! with speed internet in all the rooms...8 blocks away from recoleta...they I will only recomend sofitel...and surely if you can affort it alvear or fourseasons!
taxis are so un-expensive! you don't need a subway! and then it's dangerous! take taxis!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Has anyone stayed at either Park Chateau Kempenski or Lois Suites Arienals? If so, could you describe the hotel location or experience.