Beach escape - need your suggestions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years ago I used this forum to plan a 10 day escape to Costa Rica, including Playa Carrillo (which was at the time a hidden gem). Now I'm hoping to find a similar beach escape in Central America (or a remote location in Mexico).

Here are the requirements: isolated area yet less than 1 day travel from major airport; not near any large all-inclusive resorts or cruise ports; cheap to moderate accommodations. Thanks so much for your help!

I am targeting mid to late January for this 5-7 day escape.

PS - Shillmac, if you're still out there, I'd really like your advice again!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Maybe Morgan's Rock in Nicaragua? Though it is kinda pricey....I will be there very soon, will post on my return.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Any other suggestions for January beach destinations away from the all-inclusive resorts and mega-brand hotels? Just looking to get away from everything for 5 days or so.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM

The Harmony Hotel - Nosara, CR

www.harmonynosara.com
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I responded on your other post!

MRand's suggestion a good one. Haven't been to Nosara, but it sounds like just what you are looking for.

Another thought (although more distant from both airports) is the Malpais, Santa Teresa area, down by Montezuma.

Also near Montezuma is another Playa Grande (the most popular Playa Grande is near Tamarindo). I think you have to walk a bit to access it (we had a baby with us, so didn't), but people we spoke with who went there thought it was a very nice beach. Second hand opinion, but that entire area is fun to explore.

Are you set on Guanacaste? The southern Caribbean side has some pretty beaches as well. . .
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM

We stayed at Casa Viva on Punta Uva (SE coast of Costa Rica) in March and loved it. The 2 BR bungalows were huge and about $100 per night. The beach there was beautiful. I'm guessing that we only saw about 30 people at most each day on a stretch of beach maybe 300-500 yards long. Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo are each about 8-10 km away, so I don't know that I'd call it totally isolated.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM

I recently stayed at Caye Chapel in Belize. It is a private island resort with a golf course and everything you could want. we were the only people there the whole week. it was like owning our own island.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Shillmac and everyone for their thoughts! Shillmac, we're not set on anything yet. Since we can only escape from work for about 5 days, the idea is to minimize travel time. We're leaving from New Orleans, so we're automatically stopping in Dallas or another major airport. We'd like to be able to reach our final destination roughly 2 hours after landing. Tell me more about the southern Caribbean side. I imagine it's not too far from the San Jose airport?