Ballardo Diaz Jaguarman - the guide or not the guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are my experineces with mr. Ballardo Diaz Jaguar(d)man. Disclaimer: following are one-side (my side) facts only. To be read (and used) with discretion.

Conclusions first:

Good: Mr.Diaz is nice guy and easy to chatt with. His clients safety is the most important task for him and he carry out this task vigorously. Email correspondance was prompt. He also kept his word and send me money via Western Union.

Bad: Mr.Diaz has failed to deliver what we expected after reading his posts, his emails and various web sites. His spoken English is in big contrast with his written English. The informations given and related to wildlife and plants were subpar to other guides we have had, some of the info plainly wrong, and not what we have expected from a biologist/marine biologist.

Lesson: never give money in advance, never take money in advance.

I (in fact we are family of three all adults) have made first contact with mr.Diaz in early January 2011 explaining him our needs while staying in Osa. His reply was immediate and very informative, written in perfect English. Afterward we have exchanged cca. 30 emails and his replies were always prompt and helpful. He described himself as "...jungle guide/marine biologist...". We agreed on his price for "One day hiking into Corcovado National Park" and "Half day birding and monkey watching around Matapalo" and he agreed that we do not need to send him advanced deposit yet the total guides fee to be payable at start of day 1. I send him also our passport details as he asked them to make a contract. Later on we have finalised or dates (Aug.3rd Corcovado and Aug.4th Matapalo) and that we will use taxi service to drive us to Carate (taxi to be organised by mr.Diaz).
As agreed previousely mr.Diaz met us at our lodge on evening of Aug.2nd to "...go over the plan for the next morning...". He came in time, even earlier, and he gave us basic information of what we will do next day, revolving much around our safety issues, and mentioning that he arranged a taxi driver "...with nice LandRover...", and he also set the departure time at 4:40 am.
On Aug.3rd morning he came 40 min late at 5:20 am with Toyota Hilux double cab (rear of truck has tarpaulin and two wooden benches. Driver was very good. After a short stop at roadside soda (coffee for us breakfast for him) we arrived in Carate at around 7 am. We started our hike toward La Leona ranger station and while walking I have chatting with mr.Diaz about everyday in Costa Rica. Or he was uncomfortable with my English or he was uncomfortable with his English yet I've got an impression that he prefers talking with me in Spanish (and my Spanish is not even basic). I have to point out that his written English (very good and very eloquent) is way better then his spoken English, so much better that I have dougts that he writes his posts and emails himself. We have reached La Leona, then Rio Madrigal and have turned around after about 30 min after crossing Rio Madrigal, the hike being or on the beach or on the trail following the beach. Mr.Diaz emphasizes the aspect of our safety to the point that (in our eyes) was "over the top". On the other hand we have received very limited informations about the flora and fauna around, and some of these were even wrong. We came back to Carate at 2 pm (it was at least 2 hours short for a "full day") where our taxi driver waited for us. On the way back the driver spotted several birds and mammals alongside the road and stopped the car for us to take photos. We then make a break at Buena Esperanza, and I paid the driver and mr.Diaz for both days (I have also included a tip for both). Mr.Diaz set the starting time for next day at 5 pm and offered us to buy some tuna for a picnic lunch which we gladly accepted.
Next day mr.Diaz did not come. After long waiting we went to hike on our own and upon returning the manager of Cabinas Jimenez told us that they received a call from someone (mr.Diaz) saying that he had problems with car. Then he was trying to get in touch with mr.Diaz through other guides with no success.
On Aug 5th I have emailed mr.Diaz asking him what happened with our tour. On Aug.8th I've posted a report on TA mentioning the missing guide, and on Aug.10 I have received an email from mr.Diaz stating that he was "... in an accident Wednesday night and was transferred to Villa Neiley..." and "...this is my first chance to get to my internet." He also asked his friend to come and guide us yet obviousely this guy did not show up. He also said that in a few weeks he will refund us via Western Union. In a later email he set the deadline for refund "...at the end of this month..." (August). And he kept to his word, I have received a code for Western Union transfer.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 03:15 AM

Your guy is a denizen of Tripadvertizer an owner agent controlled for profit ethically challenged forum on many levels has many issues with some not all of their "experts" who lots of times are not what they appear to be.Top posters for an area are almost always touts/agents occultly referring to favs for kickbacks.Top TA CR poster by # over there is a driver/guide who refers to his wife every chance he gets. Not showing or substituting an inferior is not uncommon.To be fair there lots of good posters there who help just lots of the top "DE" posters are agents/touts and post to promote themselves
as much as they can so caveat emptor.

Good luck with that wire if you paid with CC

always wise consider a merchant reversal...
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the update, xelas. I've always been a little afraid to hire an independent guide. I like the idea of more money going to the guide, but at the same time if they don't show, then you're kind of stuck. Hope it all works out well for you.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM

Hope the money comes thru. I agree it sounds like someone else is corresponding under his name. Glad you enjoyed Hacienda Baru, at least. Sounds like you know what good guiding is.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM

Well I am a TA DE, and absolutely NOT an agent but am a former hotel owner here. I agree 100% with Qwovadis assessment over there.

Many only recommend there own areas for any question, many offer up 1 choice in a driver, or 1 choice in any company. This is a pretty good sign they have their motives. I always try and give folks a wide range of options for most anything I can speak about knowledgeably.

I miss you Qwo in TA... You were one of the balanced ones, as is volcanogirl.

And you know very well Xelas that myself and the poster Qwo is referring to are at war over his slandering of businesses and pushing his agenda... When I first joined TA I thought this poster was quality, but after a while I saw the true colors... I was naive...

I don't know anything about Jaguar man, I have heard his name in the forums, but I never have had any friends use him, and when I was in hotels never had any guests that used him either.

I think it is good that you posted your experiences Xelas. I think you are good guy from your postings and our conversations.
Cheers
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM

And I also agree with Qwo's assessment of Tripadvertizer forums. If you think Costa Rica is bad, you should see Peru!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM

Inca I know of the poster/DE you are speaking of at TA and I do agree, however I don't think it is fair to paint with such a broad brush for the rest of the DE's and posters there in general. There are several DE's here at fodors and if any of us have an agenda, it is simply 'go to Costa Rica'. Nor do I agree with qwo's allegation that all good reviews are fake at TA.

xelas thanks for posting your experience, it is very balanced and helpful. I am very happy you got your money back; however I understand the disappointment is not really over the money. I'm pleased you were able (after losing over an hour of waiting) to wing it and carry on with your day on your own. I do hope you stick around the forums, you have excellent advice from your various trips there.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM

What is a DE?
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM

Deb - A DE is short for Destination Experts on Trip Advisor

Tully - Nor do I tully, I am sorry if I sounded too critical, on the contrary, there are several DE's on TA that are in my opinion above boards 100%... and there are others that have the "agenda", it's not hard to tell who from what for regular users, but for casual users is a different story...
Cheers
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM

Thx inca...I knew it would be something like that but couldn't crack the acronym!