Search

Saqqara and Dashur

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saqqara and Dashur

Armed with travel books and a lot of pre-trip research, we always travel independently. But occasionally, there are those places where a guide is totally worth it. ...What do you recommend for Saqqara and Dashur - guide or no guide? Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:50 PM

Saqqara is a much more extensive site than Dahshur, and a guide would be helpful. That said, there are areas where your guide may leave you for "free time", and the baksheesh of guards and "docents" who will offer to show you tombs, take your picture, etc.. Dahshur does not necessitate a guide.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM

I'd take a guide to both as, like Binthair said, Sakkara really is huge and a guide will increase your enjoyment and understanding of it a great deal, and if you've taken a guide there, why do Dashure another day without a guide? The cost difference will be nothing if you have to pay for a car and driver to take you clear out to Dashure on a whole separate trip to avoid having a guide with you there. I think your enjoyment of Dashure will be increased by having someone that knows about it there with you to explain what you are looking at.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM

We went with a driver and a guide book to both sites in one full day.. The guidebook provided just the right amount of information, although I cant't recall most of it two years later. lol
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I know exactly what you mean shelleyk! In the end, I'm happy if I remember the "big picture."
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM

I would get a guide and driver for sure.

You can contact Debbie at [email protected] she lives in Cairo and is very good.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM

These are wonderful sites. You have made a good choice to see them in one day. That will allow a good amount of time at each. I will always have these two in mind when I think of our trip to Egypt.

Pat
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Hi there
I used Heba Saeed through Egyptologist Tour guide she was outstanding so knowledgeable, was wonderful you can trust her
I had her business card, you contact her at [email protected] sure you will enjoy with her