MA- Advice, Tips, Guides, etc.

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MA- Advice, Tips, Guides, etc.

Will be heading to CR soon for the 3rd time. Had some trips in between, but have decided that CR is the place to go. Well, my Wife believes that anyway. lol. Have been to the Northwest and Northeast, now going some what south. Wanted to know a little bit more about MA, read some not good things about guides, licensed and not, where to park etc. Have gotten great responses in the past, by some knowledgeable users. I try to give back, when I have a chance. Can't wait to go. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM

We've never had so-so guides there. I remember especially Elias being very good. We hire someone right there at the entrance (well, not just anyone--someone working as a guide!). Usually costs about $20-$25 for a couple of hours. Plus $7 into the park. Well worth your time, but I wouldn't do it for the first time WITHOUT a guide. They can show you so much that you wouldn't see otherwise.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM

We had a guide named Mario Brenes who did a nice job for us. As shillmac said, we hired him right at the entrance to the park.

Several people have also recommended Juan Brenes as a guide in MA (Mario's brother, I believe).
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM

We asked our hotel for a recommendation, and they gave us the name of a great guide. He came and picked us up and dropped us off afterward which was nice because we didn't have a car. He also brought fresh fruit and bottled water - that seemed like a real treat. Agree with shillmac that a guide provides a lot of info. and will help you see things you would otherwise miss. We saw bats, crabs, neat insects, capuchin monkeys, a sloth, neat lizards, all kinds of things.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. We will get a guide.