Search

Arenal Volcano Hiking Help?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal Volcano Hiking Help?

Hello, can anyone recommend a good hiking trail around Arenal Volcano? I have heard the "El Silencio" trail is good. How do I get there? Whats the cheapest way to view the volcano at night? Do they let you obersve from the Observatory or do you have to go on a guided tour? Can a taxi take me to a good look-out spot?

Thanks!
Bluebell
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Hi, Bluebell - we didn't hike the volcano but we were able to view it from almost any spot in La Fortuna. We just sat out on our balcony at the Lost Iguana and were able to watch it flow. The flow changes, so it's very hard to predict where the best viewing spot will be. It's amazing to hear it rumble; sometimes it would be socked in by fog, but you could still hear this ominous rumble coming from behind the clouds. We were joking that it sounded like a T Rex was going to pounce out and eat us. Other times it sounds like low rolling thunder - really amazing. We were in a taxi in La Fortuna, and the driver just pointed over to the volcano and we saw big boulders tumbling down the side. Also able to view it from local restaurants - hopefully you'll be able to get a good view.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM

We were at Arenal in May. We went exploring one afternoon and ended up at the Arenal Observatory Lodge about 4 pm. They welcomed us to view the volcano from their deck. The bird watching is wonderful, too. We did not venture down any of their paths. They said the volcano is only 1.7 miles away. We watched rocks tumble down the slopes. We had drinks from the bar and visited in their lounge area. We decided to stay for dinner and were rewarded with several lava streams. You could hear the pop and sizzle.
We were so impressed with the place it is a definite stop on our next trip.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM

El Silencio ...is an old lava flow...nice little hike...you have to pass Tabacon...about 2 miles at the left hand side of the road you will sse a sign...EL SILENCIO..the entrance fee is about $ 2.00 you can leave your car at the rangers post...or drive all the way up...once at the top of the road...is a little trail...go down the fence...and walk into the grass...in a point you will see what is called the green lake...somepeople even called blue!!

The view from El Silencio is somenthing else...and is worth the small fee that you pay for...any way that money does not get into some rich foreigner or even costarican...it will go into La Fortuna community!!

Arenal Observatory will charge you just to get in !!

Most of the people see lava...if the volcano is clear... from almost every where from La Fortuna to El Castillo!!

I drive there almost every day...today I leave Arenal at 6 Pm and was clear and I saw some lava...but for some reason somebody that was there 10 years ago...keep telling that the lava flow is...and is...just go there I guarantee you that if the night is clear and the volcano is clear you have excellent chances to see lava!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 03:52 AM

RA - again, there is no reason to be rude and refer to other postings as "from 10 years ago". This is an opinion board and yours is not the only valid one here. Curious that you always harp on "rich foreigners" considering what you do for a living.

To the OP, Sunset tours has a nice tour to the old lava flow. From what I've heard the AOL grounds are extremely nice and have great hikes, it is up a rough road though. You can always take a taxi to the park entrance and hike around on your own as well.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Tully..some people write in this forums with very poor information...and they confuse people...I beleive that if you write a post or in a post...the information must be accurate...and updated...I drive to Arenal about 3 times a week...I must have some idea about the weather...About rich foreigners working ilegally in our country ...yes we have a few of them...and we are not happy about them...and about me I am driver...a Costa Rican driver...doing in my country what I love to do!!

And most of my costumers are very nice hard working people...people that came to Costa Rica to admire the beauty of the country...not to destroy it!!

If I can be more assistance Tully let me know.

Sincerely

R.A Luis

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Please point out where anyone in this thread, or others, have given poor info. I believe you define "poor info" as that which does not agree with what you think, and fortunately there are many posters here with valuable info. Most of us have traveled to CR, many several times, it doesn't make us absolute experts but it does let us offer assistance to people asking questions. No one here mentioned weather, only you and I believe most travelers to CR realize the weather and the lava flow is always changing.

As I've said many times before, this is a message board with a variety of opinions - just because you may disagree with someone else's opinion is no reason to denigrate anyone here.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Hi, roadadvisor - I am perplexed by your constant references to "10 years ago" - my trip was less than a year ago. Do you feel that the information I gave was inaccurate?
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Thank you for your questions...I am not a person that like to be correcting others...I refer most of the time about weather...because is a very important point...and change all the time...and since I drive all over Costa Rica in a weekly basis...I share what I find in the road!!

I do not recall who was saying the other day...about seeing the parking lot of Iguana Lost full of buses and cars...from the Arenal Damm...that person most have excelent eyes since the Iguana Lost parking lot is about two miles from the damm and impossible to see...you see I can be correcting some erratic information like that ...sorry I do not do that!

I am not trying to denigrate any body...if you feel that way is your problem...

Thank you for visiting my country several times...We costaricans love all kinds of people...I am not a Costa Rica expert...I am just a Costarican ...

Thank you for your time.

R.A Luis

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Volcano Girl...sorry if you took my reference/remarks 10 years...as was for your post...no way...I was refering to some other people...your posts as far as my knowledge goes...is very good all the time...and a as a proud costarican the only thing I can do or said to you...is thank you...you are helping us to have a better life with your great daily adivice!!

Thank you Volcano Girl.

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM

If you see something incorrect, then fine point it out but no reason to be rude or make false insinuations about the poster.

I'm not sure why a post about buses at Lost Iguana (a post I never saw anyway, could you point it out?) has anything to do with this post or why the constant "10 years ago" & "rich foreigners" themes come up.

Again, it is possible to impart imformation and respectively disagree with others without resorting to rudeness.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM

I do not have to make any false insunuations...to any body...if I have any thing worth to mention I will...I do not like to give spechees to any body...mY gOD...YOU ASK TO GIVE YOU A SHORT example of a post with some incorrect information...I mentioned one...and now you are asking why? Lost Iguana...Tully I wish I can keep having this incredible smart conversation with you...but I have to meet and drive some nice American family that is going to Manuel Antonio this afternoon...

Thank you Tully.

R.A Luis

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Sorry about the capital letters...was not my intention ...just getting old!

Luis
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM

It seems the point about rudeness being unwelcome & not useful has been missed.

Anyway, to the OP, where are you staying? You may have a nice view from where you are staying, it all depends.