Arenal Lava Flow Viewing Angle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where to find current info on Arenal Lava flow viewing angle? We want to pick a hotel/resort that provides one of the best views of lava flow. Thanks. JF
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM

The best lava views are from El Castillo...Hotel Arenal Observatory offer some of the best views...but you can admire lava from Lost Iguana, Montana de Fuego, Arenal Paraiso, Arenal Volcano Lodge, Los Lagos, etc, etc...in a clear night as far as Santa Clara you can see the red lava from the top.

Eduardo
Costarican profesional travel agent
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM

Try this website

http://www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm

They claim to show the current lava flows and show the locations of all the hotels. I have never been there myself (first trip coming up in 3 weeks !!) but I found this map in my browsing (I am staying at Los Lagos myself).

Sunil
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:59 AM

We stayed at the Lodge with a wonderful view. It is dependent, I am sure you know, on having a clear day...which we did not.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Just got back and saw lots of lava at the Observatory. The reason I chose the lodge was in hopes of upping our chances of seeing the lava, and it paid off. The volcano is often only clear very early in the mornings (like around 3am), so having a hotel room with lava view is best way to see it. With that being said, lava view rooms still don't guarantee a show and I would have been very disappointed if we had stayed that far out of town without getting the view.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM

I just got back from the Arenal area and it was cloudy the whole time we were there too. We got peeks of the base everyday but seeing the cone was a different story. Got a good full view and photos the day we drove to Liberia. If you have a chance to ride horseback near the base of the mountain, go for it. It is really fun to get up into the trees where it is all rain forest like. The views are incredible and you'll see all kinds of monkeys and birds. Our guide even spotted a sloth for us.