Arenal Paraiso for New Years Eve

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just booked Arenal Paraiso last week for Dec. 29-Jan. 1 and received an email telling us there is a new policy of charging $100.00 per person for a mandatory New Years Eve dinner. (50.00 each if you are there for Xmas day) Has anyone else heard of this? I am irate that they would send us this after we booked and will probably end up cancelling this reservation.Wanted to give anyone staying there over the holidays a heads up about this.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM

You have to pay it even if you don't eat there? How annoying and especially outrageous considering how affordable dinner is in Arenal/La Fortuna.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Yes, this email states it is mandatory. I sent an email clarifying this before I cancel but they sent an attached credit card slip to charge our credit card for it. I cannot imagine what kind of meal this is as we have been to Costa Rica six times and have never paid such a price for a meal. I think it is pure price gouging on their part because they know how hard it is to find a room.This hotel seems to be popular with fodorites and that is why I wanted to let people know.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Bad idea on their part; they don't know how much we talk to one another!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM

WHAT?!? That's crazy! I would go book at Hotel Campo del Silencio. It's lovely there.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM

This is an "apparent" case of greediness outranking reason and sensibility. I am going to write them a letter of protest--as someone who has always enjoyed staying there and who recommends the hotel on a regular basis. Just curious if it makes a difference. Probably won't. Probably won't even be seen by the guy who owns the place (and built the huge home next door) and makes the decisions.

Thanks for posting this. How disappointing!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Villas Caletas has the same deal - you have to pay $123 for a mandatory new year's dinner. I guess a lot of places in CR are doing that now. What a rip-off!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Pretty bad considering we had a great $12 dinner in Arenal last year.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

I just called Arenal Paraiso and they admitted I should have been told this when making the reservation and that they are sorry.I reserved this hotel only after calling several other hotels, including Silencio, Los Lagos and numerous others and found no space.We were in Arenal last year at this time and we did not have this happen to us.I told them this was our seventh visit to Costa Rica and such a thing had never happened to us before, etc. They are going to get back to me but I am not hopeful they will be able to assist me.He tried to explain to me what we get for our $100.00 per person, champagne, live music, fireworks, etc. It made me even more angry that they neglected to respond to my email and I had to pick up the phone and, if they do agree to take away the charge, are they going to fight with us when we get down there even if they put it in writing. It is absolutely unscrupulous to do this to someone after the reservation has been made. Thanks for letting me vent. Will keep you posted on part two.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Not only is this unscrupulous but the food in that restaurant is by far the WORSE food we have ever eaten any where that we have been in the world - I would not recomend this restaurant for dinner or lunch to anyone - breakfast was fine but seriously it was the absolute worse food. The steak house down the street is unbelievably excellent and there are some delicious restaurants in town.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to keep updating on the situation with Arenal Paraiso. Despite my objections to being notified of this after my reservation they will not allow us to stay there January 31 without the dinner. This is after four emails which they never answered, a phone call, and finally a fax. I cancelled the last night and made a reservation at Erupciones for the last night. I really did not want to give them my business at all but as you can imagine hotels in Arenal appear to be booked solid for the holidays.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM

you will be glad you switched! That was clearly blackmail and i will reiterate the worse food we have ever had anywhere!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM

We stayed at Erupciones this February and we really enjoyed our stay there. The staff is so helpful and the little cottages are cute. Enjoy
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I'm glad you switched; my husband always says to vote with your dollars. Have a great time!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM

That is really a shame. I stayed at Paraiso and liked it but that is just bad business practice.