Arenal lava direction and restaurant suggestions needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help so far on this forum.

Has anyone been to Arenal in the last month or so and can say in which direction the lava was actually flowing? And what hotel has the absolutely best view of the lava? The websites are a bit confusing and not sure how up to date they are.

Also, any local and typical (not too expensive) restaurant recommendations for La Fortuna, Poas area and Alajuela? (and ones two picky teenagers would have some choices).

Thank you!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM

I can only recommend El Novillo on the road between Montana de Fuego and Tabacon. On the right as you come from Fortuna. Not sure about the teen quotient.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Chubasco's between Poas and Alajuela--very good.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:53 AM

There was a good Argentinian restaurant on one of the side streets in La Fortuna. Not sure of the name but they did the cooking right behind the counter. Beef steaks, etc. We enjoyed it.

Also, if all of you get tired of eating CR fare, you can try the Chinese restaurant on the highway into La Fortuna coming from the direction of Tabacon. Hubby and I were looking for a change for lunch one day and we were pleasantly surprised by the meal.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM

As of this week, lava is flowing down the Northwest Side of Arenal. I think this is typically the most active side. We got great views from a restaurant down the road from El Novillo, called the Arenal Steakhouse. I think this is the Argentinian place mentioned in a previous post. Another restaurant (not for views)that has tasty food was El Chozo de Laurel. It is also on the same road, closer to La Fortuna.

Rooms at Tabacon have great views. Pricey but worth every penny. A new hotel called Kioro supposedly has great views too. But I did not see it for myself.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info on the lava flow and the restaurants.

We've tried Chinese restaurants in a number of different countries and often been delighted by how good they can be. (Although once in Montana--whew.)
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Just a quick clarification on the Steakhouse with the great views of the lava flows. It is called Mirador Arenal Steakhouse. Ask for Edwardo. Tell him Rose and Steve sent you!

If you eat meat, order the Churrasco or the Lomito with Pepper Sauce or Jalapeno Sauce. If you're vegetarian, plenty of tasty food too!