Search

arenal first night?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arenal first night?

We are flyng into SJ around 8:30 pm. Is it worth trying to get to Arenal that night? How much time is needed to enjoy the area?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:12 AM

Since it will probably take an hour to clear customs and get your luggage, you wont get out of the airport until at least 9:30. Probably not a good idea to try driving there at night.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
MNP

I second what sean420 said, I wouldn't try it, After clearning customs and getting all the way there it would be past midnight before you got there.

I would say you probably need about 2 days to enjoy the Arenal area, but thats just my opinion, to some it maybe more, or less.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Any reccomendations for a hotel in San Jose. Doesn't need to be special as we will probably ony spend the night and leave early the next morning.
Also, we are looking at Tabacon and The Lost Iguana, have you stayed at either? We are thinking about Tabacon since the hot springs are included. But have read a couple of good reviews on the Iguana. Thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:55 AM
MNP

Our first night we stayed at the Orquideas Inn outside of San Jose (http://www.orquideasinn.com) We loved it and it always gets great reviews. Its the perfect place to start and end the trip.

We stayed in Tabacon and enjoyed it. We had a standard room with a fantastic view of the volcano. We enjoyed our stay there. It gets mixed reviews , some love it, some can't stand it. We enjoyed having the hot springs already included in our room as oppose to paying the 29 dollars entrance fee. It was also nice to get to go to the springs before it was open to the public. Maybe someone else will help you with Lost Iguana, I really dont know anything about it.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I stayed at the Montana de Fuego and it was wonderful.

I rode my bicycle past the Iguana Lodge and it looked very nice as well.

The Tobacan looked nice but it was really crowed with tourists.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM

There is a Hampton Inn near the airport and I believe thay have a shuttle. The next day we rented a car and went to Jaco Beach for 4 days as a base and then to Arenal for 2 days. The volcano at night was awsome. Driving was difficult as the roads were full of potholes. Slow going! All in all a great vacation.