Search

visiting Arenal -how far?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
visiting Arenal -how far?

I want to incorporate a a two or three day visit to arenal. I am wondering how long of a drive it is from San Jose - the airport. Also , can anyone tell me a great 'boutique' hotel in that area with some great hiking and views.?
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM

It's about 2.5 - 3 hours from the airport. Iguana Lodge gets many rave reviews and has great views.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM

We love the Lost Iguana - great views, wonderful balconies on the lava side of the volcano, and lush grounds with lots of trails. We've seen toucans on the property. They have a nice open air restaurant with volcano view, and small pool and a heated swim-up bar. It's a neat spot. Agree with tully - a little under 3 hours to get there. If you get the luxury suite, they have a jacuzzi tub on the balcony - candle, bath salts - life is good.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM

As tully wrote it is about 2.5 hours. I want to add it is so worth going too! I loved Arenal/La Fortuna more than I thought I would. There is so much adventure there and things to do, check out desafiocostarica.com to see the list of activities etc.

We stayed at Arenal Parasio and I loved it. It is rustic with great scenery and not a hotel feel type place at all. PLUS they have hot springs on site which was a perk. At night we would head to them and just relax. While their I heard that Arenal Observatory Lodge is booked up now bc that is one of the only hotels you can see the lava at night time.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I love Silencio del Campo. I guess you could consider it "boutique-rustic". LOL! The individual cabinas are wonderful and spacious, the owners are a super sweet local family, hot springs on site, and the grounds are beautiful. Plus, it is a smaller place (I think only about 13 cabinas) which I love.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM

Sunset Tours is another good group. We've used them a few times. Here's their website if you want to check them out:

http://www.sunsettourcr.com/