Please help!

Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Please help!

Hi -

Trying to decide on a vacation destination which is basically an extended honeymoon for us. Our honeymoon in December was rather stressful. We are in desperate need of some pampering, warm weather and nice/kind service!

Anyway - I am debating between Mexico (Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen area) at an all inclusive OR Aruba (which we have been to before and loved).
If you have been to any of these places, please let me know what you think! Air out to Mexico is nonstop and cheaper then the longer flights which stop to Aruba.

In Mexico here are the places, all varying in price from most expensive to least. All are all inclusive

Aventura Spa Palace (adult only)
Iberostar Lindo/Maya
Iberostar Tucan/Queztal

Aruba
Radisson (includes breakfast - only about $400 in total less than Aventura which includes all meals and drinks)
La Cabana All Suite Resort (good since we could make some meals and save money)

Things that are important to us;
Good food (more importantly safe food! We don't want to get sick, not a concern in Aruba - I have stayed at Moon Palace in Mexico and was fine.)
Romantic and not loud and nutty - not overun with kids
Very nice pools (beach is fine - but we don't have to have a beach, I know Aventura really does not have one)
Potential for golf (we could golf at a 9-hole course in Puerto Aventuras in Mexico)
Great weather - obviously

Thanks!
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:50 AM
cdt

We vacationed in Aruba 5 years ago and south of Playa del Carmen last month. Each area has its advantages.

You didn't say when you are going. Aruba has more reliable weather - less chance of hurricanes, warmer in winter, a bit less hot/humid in summer.

If you are traveling in the next couple of months, however, the Yucatan should be lovely.

Having read hundreds of trip reports, I must conclude there is less chance of gastro-intestinal problems in Aruba. However, we had no problems in Mexico. I think it helps to stay at an AI rather than eat at 20 different restaurants.

Now, some pluses for the Mayan Riviera: better snorkeling; more sense of being in a foreign country and different culture; and many, many more things to do when you leave the resort area: Mayan ruins, cenotes, jungle tours, daytrips to Cozumel, eco-parks, etc.

Can't help you with the Mexican resorts you listed (we stayed at Akumal Beach Resort), but I would suggest that you NOT stay at La Cabana if traveling without kids. It's huge with lots of families and a crowded beach area. If you want a kitchen in Aruba, consider the Costa Linda.

Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much!
Plan to travel last week of May.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:34 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan in January and we loved it. Very unique resort. Beautiful beach, huge, clean pool and 4-5 al la carte restuarants. The food was pretty good too. It's also 5 minutes from PDC, which is great. I recommend this resort highly for the price. I've not been to Aruba, so I can't say anything about it. We've been to the Yucatan 4 times and we love it. We've never been sick with what some people call Gastro-intestinal problems either. I firmly believe that most people get sick in Mexico from eating too much and drinking too much. And of course, I would be very careful eating anything in town, but the resorts we've been to have all had great food for the most part.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I should mention there is only about a $300 difference in total (cheaper) for the Tucan vs. the Aventura or Iberostar Lindo.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:15 PM

I just don't agree that you're more likely getting sick eating in town than at the resorts. At least the resorts that have non-airconditioned buffets.

Just drink bottled water and enjoy the wonderful restaurants in the Playa del Carmen area.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:34 PM

Check out the Grand Porto Real in PDC. Right on beach at north end of town. Great rooms. Spend for the deluxe ocean view. All inclusive or EP is your option. Didn't see hardly any kids when I was there which was a Labor Day weekend. I really liked fact you were 2 minutes to 5th Ave where all the shops, dinning & bars are. Personally, I like to eat some dinners out as All Inclusive buffets get old. They do have a sit down restaurant on site. They have a nice pool. Understand they have another resort opening next door soon that may be even nicer. Check the Real Resort's web site. Of the hotels you have listed, none are near town if you want to get out and about which I highly reccomend. Several golf courses in the area. Not sure where you are flying in from, but if you have the option and price is close, fly into Cozumel and take 1/2 hr long ferry over to PDC. Walk to hotel or very short cab ride from ferry dock in town. Customs is much faster than Cancun + the ferry ride is nice and scenic while you sip on a Sol beer. Hope this helps
Mar 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM

We just came back from Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar / Paraiso Beach which are next door to Iberostar Lindo and Mayan. These are newer and better places. We also went for one day to Iberostar Tucan. This place is older and smaller ( but you will love monkeys ). If you don't mind walking a lot ( because resorts are big ) , go to Paraiso Del Mar / Beach , or if you want more luxury and some extras , go to Lindo or Mayan . Please, if you have more ? , let me know .We absolutely loved Riviera Maya, and service at [email protected]
Good Luck !
Lena
Mar 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks we decided we want to be sure there are not a lot of kids around - so we chose Aventura Spa Palace.
Mar 29th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Just read your emails and based on my reading different web sites I think you made the right decision
Mar 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM

I have never been to these resorts, but on our first trip to Playa del Carmen we looked into staying at the Aventura Spa Palace but decided against it because it is really far from town. If you want to get out and experience Playa del Carmen or the night life, you may want something closer. But if relaxation is all you're after, Aventura sounds great.
Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM

Hi beachgirl,
Have you considered Maroma? It is secluded, quiet, and has a great spa. Food is good and service is personal. They will pick you up at the airport in Cancun and you never have to leave if you don't want to.
Happy travels.
Apr 4th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - we really aren't into going into town - as in Cancun. I was there once before and didn't care for it.

But Playa Del Carmen is only a 10 minute ride - so that is close enough for us.

We are booked - thanks again!