Antartica

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antartica

Has anyone been to Antartica? What outfitter did you use and was it well worth the money?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM

We went with Quark on the 48-pax Professor Molchanov (they do not operate this ship anymore, however). We did the longer itinerary that included the Falklands and South Georgia.

Was it worth the money - only one answer to that question - Absolutely!

I did an extensive review of our small ship voyage. It can be found at: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34977014. Also, photos at http://eenusa.smugmug.com/Antarctica.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you....I will enjoy your pictures.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

WOW is all I can say eenusa about your report and pics. I will be using alot of that info when we go in February. It will make the planning alot easier. Thank you
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:58 AM

Thank you ... feel free to post questions as they come up. I'll do my best to offer an opinion/answer. Antarctica is a fantastic place.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi EENUSA,
Whats your opinion about that trip through the drake passage. I get motion sickness and it can sometimes be bad, other times hardly at all. Will the patch work well enough for that period of a time? or will I suffer for two days going there and coming back. This is the only thing holding me back from the trip. We travel alot and would really like to make the trip, but not at the expense of being miserable. Thanks for your valuable input.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Luckily, we only had the Drake one-way, on the way back from the peninsula. That said, our day of sailing from Ushuaia to the Falklands was no picnic - we had a Force 8 gale. According to the crew, the conditions we experienced in the Drake were "not bad" since we did not have waves breaking over the bow. But 30 foot waves and a Force 8 gale are definitely felt when you're in a 1700 GRT ship (the smallest one we've been on).

The patch worked for us. I put mine on before we left the Beagle Channel - we were told the waters were forecasted to be rough outside the Channel - and used it until we arrived in S Georgia. Worked like a charm. Then, I used it again for the crossing from S Georgia to the Peninsula. Once in Peninsula waters, I did not need the patch nor any meds until we headed north towards Ushuaia.

It was the first time either one of us used the patch (I usually use Dramamine for motion sickness, but it didn't quite cut it this time). For me, the worst part of using the patch was the dry mouth - didn't have any of the other side effects (like blurry vision). All said, I'm glad we went prepared to use them.

The ship's doctor was busy handing out meds to those who needed them ... I think he started out with regular stuff and resorted to shots only as a last resort.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank You for the input.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Jed

debalyn - In case you need more info, Antarctica is more extensively discussed on the Cruise forum.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jed....I will check it out.