Search

Antarctica pics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antarctica pics

I know it's not in Africa but some of you asked me when I got back over a year ago if I had any pics online and I didn't and have been very lax at sorting this out.

I haven't got any up on any of the normal photo-sharing sites but I have some loaded to a stock library which anyone can view.

If you go to www.alamy.co.uk and enter "favelle antarctica" into the search box you'll see a small selection of my and my husband's pics from that trip.

Sorry the site doesn't provide a slideshow interface or anything...
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Kavey, your timing could not have been better .

I just finished booking our flights to Ushuaia. We're scheduled on the Falklands/S Georgia/Peninsula expedition cruise on Quark's Professor Molchanov.

We leave December 30, so I still have a long wait, but the pictures helped quench a bit of my thirst to get there.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Kavey - some amazing shots there. Wow - guess I'll have to move Antarctica up on my list. The seals seem to have learned how to pose or something! Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:09 AM
bat

Thanks Kavey:
I am a sucker for the chicks.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM

What absolutely gorgeous pictures. I just returned two weeks ago and was given a DVD of the best shots taken by the passengers and crew of the ship and yours are really so much better than those or my own. A fabulous trip and we really lucked out on the weather. Thank you for sharing.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Wow!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Stunning work and location. Thanks for sharing Kavey.
On my list of places to go list when I tire of warm weather locals.
Sherry
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Kavey, terrific photos. A trip to Antarctica is No. 1 on my list, but I can't pull together sufficient time until December 2007, at the earliest, but its a trip I hope to do in the next several years. I'll begin investigating later this year, and may try to get frequent flyer tickets to Ushaia for December 2007 just in case.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
DJE

Kavey,

Really enjoyed seeing your pics from way down south. We were in Patagonia a number of years of ago spending most of the time in Torres De Paine Nat. Park and it was a fantastic trip. Our farthest point south was Punta Arenas but we would like to make a return trip and do a boat excursion to see the Antarctic, as well as returning to Patagonia.

That region and Africa have been two of the most wonderful locations to visit.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I refuse to look
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM

Nice pics, Kavey. I envy your visit to South Georgia Island. I went with Quark on the Akademik Shokalskiy last January/February and visited the peninsula. It was a great time. I'll have to return to see South Georgia. I've got some pics posted here from my trip:

http://www.pbase.com/escog/antarctica
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Kavey, lifelist, WOW superb pictures, thanks a million. Which ship were u on and what dates did u visit antarctica. Also did u see alot of whales, the area is famous for sighting certain rare varities of whales. Did u meet up with alot of pack ice??? Also were u able to cross the antartic circle. I am planning to do an across the circle cruise in end jan/beg feb 2007.

Sonali.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Lifelist, wow!

You have some incredible gentoo shots - and with chicks too - we went when they were still all with eggs.

I love all your wonderful scenery shots too.

This is my very favourite:
http://www.pbase.com/escog/image/40401291

I do have some more that I need to load to that site but I'm not finished processing. Talk about being behind... once I've done those I need to sort my Peru and Galapagos pics out and then India (which I'm going to next week)!

PS Thanks so much everyone for your kind comments on the pics. To be fair, I've pruned out all the dross so the ones I've loaded there are the better ones/ more commercial ones (I hope).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Sonali, I did post a little in this forum and over on the South American one on my return so you should be able to pull up some info...

We went on a 3 week trip back in November/ December 2004. We travelled on the Akademik Ioffe which was a great ship. Not a luxury cruise line, very expeditiony in feel, but comfortable and friendly. Fantastic experts and crew. We flew to Ushuaia for embarkation, then went on to the Falklands to visit a few islands there, then South Georgia and then into the Peninsula for some days before travelling back to Ushuaia.

Peregrine is the operator we went with.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Thit Cho; just a thought - we tried the FF ticket route for our upcoming trip (Dec 06-Jan 07) and decided to keep our miles for a longer trip (we travel out of Washington DC). We actually ended up booking our international flight to BA ourselves, and used a BA travel agent for our R/T Ushuaia tickets - saved 2/3 of the price over booking the domestic tickets ourselves.

Louise, do you have your trip report posted (or plan to post one)? I'd love to hear about your experience. If you haven't already posted, maybe you can do so on the South America forum or in the Cruise forum.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Kavey,

Hah - we've been treading the same ground. I was in Peru (Machu Picchu and Cordillera Blanca) last July and at the Galapagos in November.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

He he he... great minds and all that!

Where are you based?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM

I'm based in San Francisco. Here are some pics from the Galapagos and Peru:

http://www.pbase.com/escog/peru
http://www.pbase.com/escog/galapagos
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Hey it's only 11 months since we got back from Peru - I haven't sorted my photos from that trip yet!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

PS Love this one: http://www.pbase.com/escog/image/53330053

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -