Search

akumal in june

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
akumal in june

ok, we've settled on akumal in june. thanks all for your advice and comments. will we need to rent a car/jeep? how far is it from cancun airport? also we'd like to go to cozumel one day, one of the parks..xel-ha or xcaret...any preferences? and definitely want to do some sportfishing. how far to PA from akumal? i understand the busses are quite economical and efficient for the short jaunts, so i'm up for suggestions! the rest of the time we plan to just veg-out with drinks in our hands and our toes in the sand! can't waaaiiittt. thanks in advance for info
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM

You will definitely want to rent a car, you are about an hour and a half south of Cancun.If you go to Cozumel, you will need to depart from Playa del Carmen via the ferry . About 30 to 45 mins north of Akumal. I assume by PA you mean Puerto Aventuras, it's about 10 mins N of Akumal. You can travel by collectivos(local small bus\vans that travel 307), but there can be a long walk out to 307 depending on where you are staying. Hence... the need for a car. But remember to drive very carefully and keep alert. Traffic has become very busy along 307 and not all know how to drive in MX.
Akumal is very quiet, no nightlife, handful of great places to eat, a few small shops and a two small grocery stores. It is truly a place to relax. Please check out www.locogringo.com and Bill-in-tulsa.com. Both great resources. (25+ trips and still counting (to Akumal) Toni
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:57 AM
cdt

We almost always rent a car when we travel but for our stay in Akumal last month we chose not to. It worked out fine. All of the places you mentioned are easily accessible by bus/collectivo/ferry. (Although you may need to walk in from Rt. 307 to Xel-Ha or Xcaret).

To get from the airport to Akumal we took the Riviera bus to Playa del Carmen ($6 to $7 per person, depending on whether you pay with pesos or dollars), then a taxi ($20).
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:44 AM

ABG...We've rented a condo via locogringo.com the last two years and it has been fantastic. I would highly recommend renting a jeep across the street from the airport because it is a great experience driving down to Akumal plus it gives you the flexibility to drive to Tulum/Playa Del Carmen on YOUR TIME. Have fun and enjoy
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! a ton of great advice. 25 trips toni? wow. my husband is a professional driver in u.s. so he will no doubt enjoy the challenge there. of course he's the only one not learning any spanish! LOL rock, what is the name of the jeep rental place? should we make reservations early? is it crowded there in june? what do you know of a snorkeling trip from cozumel on the jean lafitte? sounds kind of like the booze cruise we did in nassau, which was a blast. i think we are staying at oasis akumal, any comments on that? sorry if i'm asking too many questions! reading on those websites too. so much to see there!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:04 AM

I would definitly have a rental car arranged before you go. (all major car rentals have Jeeps in CUN) They will have a car ready for you when you arrive. You go thru customs, head out thru the terminal and there are all the rental desks. If you are flying a charter, you will land in a different terminal and be bussed to the main terminal. Do check out the locogringo board and see everyones questions/replies re: rental rates insurance etc. Plus do a search reriving. A left turn blinker can mean OK to pass....or I am turning left.And the middle lane is sort up up for grabs. Oh, Jeep rentals can be expensive, the 4WD is not operational.Plus car insurance in the states does not cover rental cars in MX, so you need to get coverage, that can cost more than the daily rental .We met a couple last yr staying at the Oasis, it was their 3 rd or 4th visit, they love the hotel. Toni
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks! may just skip the rental, but i'll check out the other sites just in case. i like the idea of having a car(jeep) but maybe just easier not to.