Playa Del Carmen advice

Old May 6th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa Del Carmen advice

Hi,

I will be staying in Cozumel for 8 nights but plan on coming over to PDC to go to Xcaret and Tulum. I'm really wanting to fit both in one day and was wondering if the best way to do that is to rent a car for the day so that we have maximum flexibility? Or is the bus system adequate? Where would I be able to find a bus schedule? Does anyone know of any reliable car rental agencies in Playa? Thanks so much in advance...

SW
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Swilli6,

I stayed at a resort a few miles away from PDC and rented a car from the resort. We spent many days and nights in PDC and had a blast. I bet you can search many of the more popular car rental agencies, dollar, avis, etc and find one that is located in PDC. Tulum is not to far of a drive, 1/2 hour to an hour and is right off the main road. I would recommend renting, this way you can see what you want, when you want. have fun.

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:58 AM

If you decided to rent, do it in PDC, not from Cozumel, there's a car ferry to PDC but it will be expensive..
Check Royal Rent a Car, in the web, they have promotional rates from 15 USD, 24 hours, unlimmited millage.
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:51 AM

The bus system is very good but you will not find printed schedules. The service from the central station to Tulum is frequent but I believe it would be difficult to visit Xcaret and Tulum in a day by bus.
I have rented often from National in Playa with good results. They are conveniently located about a half block on the right as you leave the ferry pier in Playa (in the entrance to the Hotel Molcas)
Enjoy!
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your input! I'm seriously considering a car rental, but our problem is that we would be trying to take a late ferry back to Cozumel and I think all the cars would have to be dropped off by five. I agree about the bus system and that that probably wouldn't work, but right now I'm wondering if collectivos might be the way to go also...
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:41 PM

just to clear up some confusion, rental cars are not allowed on the ferry service from Cozumel. Collectivos is an inexpensive way to go, but please note, you are left off at the entrance of these parks and sometimes its quite a walk to your final destitation.
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:13 AM

Mayte, are you sure you can't take rental car to Playa with the car ferry to Puerto Morelos?

Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:22 AM

There is also auto ferry service from Cozumel to the port of Calica, which is very close to Playa and a much shorter ferry ride.