Ahuachapan, El Salvador (Habitat for Humanity)

Jan 9th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Ahuachapan, El Salvador (Habitat for Humanity)

We have the opportunity to participate in a Habitat for Humanity trip in the second week of April to build homes in Ahuachapan, El Salvador, in the western-most part of the country, near the border with Guatemala. We are seriously considering this, but are concerned about travel advisories for El Salvador, which cite the high murder rate, etc. The Habitat for Humanity information about the trip says “From the minute you arrive in El Salvador we meet as a group and are in the capable hands of Habitat for Humanity 24/7. We do not travel to or stay in any areas deemed unsafe.”

Have any of you been to this part of the country? Is it worth seeing? The HH information about the trip says “When we are not helping build homes, we may be visiting a local cultural town, swimming in a volcanic lake, touring a coffee plantation, or enjoying a sea-side resort for a day. We also work alongside and get to know the families and neighbors of the people we are helping."

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Jan 9th, 2018, 10:04 AM

well, El Salvador is probably one of the most dangerous countries on earth. I have relatives from there, but they all left a long time ago and haven't been back in years, of course. I do donate to Habitat for Humanity El Salvador, they have their own organization.

Of course I think the danger is greatest to those who live there, local residents, not others. But that area is unsafe, it has a lot of gang activity so I don't know how they can even make that statement. If you are in Ahuachapan you are in a dangerous area, by my definition. This is a little old, but still

http://www.ldsliving.com/LDS-youth-k...lvador/s/72720

I admire your desire to do this. Sure, I think visitors would likely be safe in those programs, but I wouldn't do it. I also think there is the danger of kidnapping and extortion for visitors, and there are robberies at scenic sights and ATMs, it's not just crime affecting locals. ALso, prime tourist areas are probably more safe than people like that who are visiting but not staying in prime tourist spots.

My brother was in the Peace Corps in El Salvador and they won't send people there any more as it is too dangerous. I guess I wouldn't think Habitat for Humanity is inherently safer than Peace Corps volunteers. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.51eae4f59986
Jan 9th, 2018, 10:19 AM

I would love to do this kind of a trip. And I so respect Habitat for Humanity as an organization. But I would pick a more stable destination. This one would be out of my comfort zone. But I would happily go somewhere in Mexico, for example.