Search

Colombia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colombia

Is it safe to go to Colombia???? Do you have any experiences there??? What places do you suggest to go??
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM

probably, yes, Bogota and Cartagena
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM

There are vast swathes of Colombia that are safe to travel in. Cities in Colombia are safer than those in Mexico, Costa Rica and Ecuador...take your pick, head to Bogota, Medellin, Cartagena, hike to the Lost City, chill on the beaches of Tayrona, head to the colonial towns of Mompos and Popayan, spend some time gazing at ruins in San Agustin...
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM

I recently moved to Bogota with my husband (who works here) and 2-yr-old daughter, from small town Canada. My husband has loved Colombia since his first work experience here, and convinced me that it was safe enough to raise our daughter and live for several years. I was hesitant, but he was absolutely right.

Except for crazy road traffic and horrendous smog, I feel safer walking around reasonable parts of town than I ever did while in Toronto, Los Angeles, or London. Granted, there are the normal precautions as with any big city (make sure your cab is legit before getting in, don't go into slummy neighbourhoods, be polite and respectful, etc.). And of course while travelling in the countryside, you keep your eyes and ears open to what locals are saying.

That said, Bogota and other major cities or tourist destinations are safe and spectacularly beautiful, with friendly people, strong and vibrant cultures, all modern conveniences, a good health care system, great restaurants, a wonderful climate, and breathtaking scenery. And the political situation is much safer and more stable than media and gov't websites would have you believe.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

www.travel.state.gov Colombia

Actually safer than it has ever been recently...

For me Bogota San Gil Santander Caragena San Andres

Best safest...