Search

activities near arenal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
activities near arenal

We are finalizing our trip. Planning on staying first night at Villa Blanca. Our flight arrives at 11:30 am. Figured we'd have time to stop at La Paz Waterfalls before arriving at hotel. Next am doing the zip line there, walking in cloud forest and then heading to arenal late that afternoon. We have 2 nights at Lost Iguana. What activities are a must??? We have 3 kids--ages 15, 13,7. Figured we'd do hanging bridges, hot springs (Eco Termales or Tabacon??)---not sure what else would be appropriate. Any ideas? After arenal we're heading to the beach. Thanks, Lisa
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 07:03 PM

My kids (13 and 10) liked the Vendado (sp??) caves and hiking near the volcano.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM

We didn't do the Cano Negro trip because we'd done something similar elsewhere but it sounds great as well.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Would your kids enjoy the waterfall rappelling with Pure Trek Canyoning? The older ones, especially? It gets rave reviews. . .
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM

In La Fortuna vist the waterfall, hot springs and Cano Negro Reserve:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html

kids will enjoy getting close to crocs at Cocodrilus Valle, a sanctuary and educational project 500 meters north of the church in La Fortuna
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the ideas. My husband wasn't so keen on the caves (he gets claustrophic). I think the rappelling will be awesome, although I'm not sure my 7 year old will do it. Is there a good/safe zipline in the area? Has anyone gone to buena vista lodge for the waterslide? Is that worth going out of the way for. We'll be at playa conchal for a few days. Also, should we stay the first night in San Jose and then go straight to arenal, or spend the first night at Villa Blanca, do the zip line there and then head to arenal? Should we stop at La Paz waterfall on the way to arenal? Thanks for all your help/advice!! It's invaluable. Lisa
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM

As far as how you arrange the front end of your trip, all of your proposals are very workable. You could certainly stay at Villa Blanca that first night, but I'd not try to cram a zipline experience in that very first arrival day when you are BOUND to be tired--traveling with a family, for Pete's sake! Been there, done that!

In fact, I think VB would be a nice relaxing option for you. Just take in the beauty, explore the grounds, rest, prepare yourselves for a great time ahead! But don't start off running. . .you'll be on manana time! The more quickly you obtain your Pura Vida, the better time you'll have!

I'm thinking Villa Blanca is on the road to Arenal up through San Ramon and that that option would put La Paz out of your way for the next day. I don't have a map with me right now, but you can look at yours and see what it looks like. But I THINK you'd want to head on up to Arenal, for sure saving the ziplines for that location. You can either do SkyTrek or the Arenal Paraiso lines--both get good reviews.

Is there a way you could do La Paz at the end of your trip? Probably not. . . Another thought would be to stay at Poas Volcano Lodge right up near Poas and La Paz. It is in the moderate range, and not pricey like Villa Blanca (maybe not as 'luxe either), but would put you right there in the midst of some cloud forest and within very close proximity to both Poas (early morning best for viewing the crater) and La Paz--for a couple of hours before heading on up to Arenal. . Just a thought. I've always wanted to stay there. We've looked it over (but not inside) and think it looks like a cozy little place to stay!

About the Buena Vista Mega Combo package into the Rincon de la Vieja:

You'll have plenty of stuff to do while at Arenal. It would be tremendous fun for your kids to do this tour while you are at Conchal. It's about a 2 hour drive to get there, but we and hour 20 somethings had a fabulous time there back in 2001--first trip to CR. The water slide was an absolute riot--tons of fun, what a rush! The ziplines were good, and the mud baths lots of fun. It would be a very enjoyable day for you guys--all of you, youngest to oldest!

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM

That would be "OUR", not "HOUR". . .some teacher!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac---I figured out you meant "our!" Maybe we should arrive the first day, stay in San Jose for the first night (at the Marriot?) and head out the next am straight to arenal, stopping at La Paz on the way. Or, is the cloud forest a must see??? Also, what do you all think of Eco Termales vs. Tabacon for the hot springs? Lisa
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM

with kids, Tabacon is a better bet!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I haven't been to Eco Thermales, but am sure it in nice. Guanacaste knows both, so you might follow his advice.

Not a bad idea at all to stay right there near the airport upon arrival. The Marriot would be okay, but we always like to "escape" the North American chain hotels while down there and get the more local flavor--at least most of the time.

Think about Las Orquideas--with a pool, fun staff, and entertaining evening bar where you can meet and chat with fellow travelers. It is right on the road to Poas/La Paz, but a little tricky to get to from the airport if you're not familiar with 1. driving in Costa Rica and 2. getting around that area without benefit of street signs!

You might think about getting a taxi and having your rental delivered the next day.

Another good choice, pricier, but gorgeous and more fun for the kids and you--would be Vista del Valle. It's just a super place about 20 min. from the airport. Very beautiful with a nice little waterfall you can hike (and climb) down to (ladder).