where to stay in Arenal area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't seem to get jazzed about any of the hotel options in the Fortuna/Arenal area....they all seem oriented to big groups who want buffet meals and a view of the volcano which may or may not show itself. any top picks out there for family of five (with 3 girls under 12?) Lost Iguana seems to be in the lead at the moment....
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM

We (with girls 14 & 9) really enjoyed our stay (3 nts) at Lost Iguana. We were fortunate to have a clear shot of the volcano on 2 of the nights...very cool! Enjoy!
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Los Lagos does have buffet breakfast but still a great choice with kids.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM

What about Leaves and Lizards? I was pretty intrigued with it when I was thinking of going to Arenal. It's a bit further out of town, but definitely not cookie-cutter (and still has a great view of the volcano). Seems to be a hit with kids.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM

I'd highly recommend Los Lagos. It's a great hotel for families. We were there when our kids were 6 and 8 and of all the places we stayed it was probably their favorite. The grounds are very nice, however the rooms are pretty basic. If the volcano is showing, you get a beautiful view. Yes, the breakfast is buffet, but it's included in the room rate, which is very nice. They have their own small hot springs right on the property. You can also do horseback riding and zip lining right there as well (extra charge). We did both and were very pleased with both. I never had the impression that they were oriented towards bigger groups, but rather a very family type hotel.
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:26 AM

We are huge fans of the Lost Iguana. Los Lagos definitely gets rave reviews from families with young kids, so check that one out too. Arenal Nayara is getting consistently good reviews as well. It's a little over the top, but you could check out The Springs as another potential hotel. It's pricey though.
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:19 AM

We just stayed at Campo del Silencio around 89$ for cash ask for the special deal... Great hot springs and even better for kids a great playground. Great deal and close to everything. Ask for room 14. The playground is in infront. You can sit on the porch looking at the volcano while the kids play. Look on tripadviser.com
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Silencio del Campo is a great place too. The playground has been added since I was there so that's good to know. Definitely a smaller and more intimate vibe than Los Lagos, but both are wonderful. LL being a bit higher energy with all the spring fed pools, slides and larger complex.