Search

Acapulco, Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acapulco, Anyone ?

I seldom see any mention of Acapulco as a winter time destination in Mexico. What has happened that would cause a decline in interest of the place to US tourists ?

I have fund memories of Las Brisas and can still taste the "pink" of every thing at the resort, including the jeeps.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't heard much about Acapulco for the last decade! I'm not sure the reason. There's definintely not as much information on the internet like for Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Cancun, even Mazatlan or Playa del Carmen.

My impression is that it is still popular with Mexican vacationers though?
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM

It has faded & lost is Cachet over the years. It is still a huge destination for Mexican Nationals. I am going for a few days in March so will report back.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Yes, ACA has become an overwhelmingly domestic destination. It has happened somewhat slowly over the past 20 years but really accelerated when a high speed toll road was built from Mexico City to ACA more than ten year ago. It cut travel time down to about four hours. ACA is now seen by many middle class and upper class DF residents as their Hamptons, so to speak.

Simultaneously, Cancun really came into its own, with great flight connections from the USA, and abroad. In contrast, finding flights to ACA is much more difficult and, ironically, often expensive. To add to all this hotel construction and modernization in ACA has really lagged. Only now are a few new deluxe properties being built there. For years the hotels there had been left to languish. Likewise, for people seeking beautiful beaches, there are other destinations in Mexico with cleaner and bluer water.

Having said all that, ACA is a heck of a town, lots of fun, a great night life and friendly people. It is generally outstanding weather wise, with guaranteed sun in the winter, as compared to CUN. The city is also now on the rebound and hopefully it can get back some of its past glory.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Some places just lose their charm after a while...or maybe not so much that the place is to blame as people are always seeking new places.

1.In the mid seventies ,Acapulco was a little haven for the hollywood set and many of them owned homes there.

2. I agree that the easy access from Mexico City to Acapulco has made a difference also.

3. I do not think that Acapulco is more expensive(once you are there) than other Mexican destinations ....the airlines have made getting to Acapulco a bit more difficult.

When you see newspaper ads and Travel Agencies extolling the virtues of :

Cancun
Puerto Vallarta
Manzanillo
Mayan Riveria

then most travellers then to take the bargains to these destinations.

4. Acapulco has been on the cruise line's port of call for both Mexican Riveria cruise and also Panama cruises.

From my city I can fly direct and non stop to the places I have mentioned above...but not to Acapulco...

one time I had to overnight enroute both ways to get to and from Acapulco.!!!

My opinion of Acapulco...I like the place.

I like Ixtapa and Zihautanejo also..going there is like getting two for one...

the tourist place of Ixtapa and
the more quaint Zihuatanejo!

Stewbear ,would love to hear your report in March when you visit.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM

I'm off to ACA this Sunday for 5 nights - inexpensive flight on Continental from Newark takes less time than going to Santa Fe, NM (where it's 20 degrees at night, 88 in ACA). I'm not a big resort fan - however occasionally I'm really in the mood to abscond somewhere warm and revel in doing absolutely nothing for a few days. Will let you know....
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just returned from a 7 night trip to Acapulco. It was my first time there and I loved it. I have also visited Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. I greatly prefer Acapulco over Cancun and would rate it equal to Puerto Vallarta. Stayed at the Fiesta Americana, right on Condesa Beach, with virtually everything walking distance. It was a very enjoyable (and relatively cheap) vacation.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM

got back from Acapulco about a week ago. Weather was perfect - 90 every day, cloudless sky. The night I arrived there was lighting and a rainstorm (very unusual for this time of year according to the Las Brisas staff). Stayed at Las Brisas - great hotel. Wonderful views - good food - great vibe. Had a private casita with pool, view of the bay (rm 358) - which was literally a 45 second walk to the sunset bar. I felt totally secluded and private. Thought the menu at the beach club was not as good as the room service menu and spent most of my time on my terrace lounging. The city itself is a wasteland of Hooters / Hard Rock / Planet Hollywood venues - however up at Las Brisas the view was mesmerizing at sunset and in the Evening. The Bellavista restaurant is quiet good and the view on the terrace is jaw dropping - consider going there for sunset instead of the sunset bar. Had dinner at Pampano, Kookabura, Olvido and Becco. All had great views - great spaces (reminded me of Mykonos, lots of white on white) and good to excellent food. The food at Olivido was okay but was the only one of the four at the waters edge. Saw the cliff divers at noon- there is a 10 pm (?) show with torches. If you're a mid-century fan - Las Brisas is the place to stay. Meet a couple who had been coming to Las Brisas for 30 years and 2 couples from Canada. Went to Walmart and got supplies. Spending 5 days doing nothing but lounging was great - just enough. Watching the flowers lazily float on the surface of the pool was great, the view enchanting, the service and friendliness of the staff- it was just what I needed to banish the winter doldrums.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM

I am booked for a week at the end of May to ACA with my 24 y/o son as a graduation present. He wants to go to practice his Spanish. A friend who went to Cabo last Nov said they were molested by drug dealers everywhere they went. I have been to lots of destinations in Mexico but never to ACA so that is why I picked it. Considering changing plans to Cozumel, been there twice but not that crazy about it. SUggestions? advice? warnings?
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM

We will be staying at the Fiesta Inn...did I pick a cheesy place?