Search

No Bullfighting!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Bullfighting!!

My daughters and I always wanted to see Cancun and Cozumel. We love to snuba and snorkel. However we are animal lovers and have always avoided going to Mexico because we are very much against the blood sport of bullfighting. We never wanted to patronize a country that condones such a mean, heartless sport. I recently heard that there is a movement to end bullfighting as a sport in Mexico and that it isn't happening much anymore. Would Cancun or Cozumel be a pretty safe place to visit without having to deal with seeing or hearing about bullfighting since that would be very upsetting to us. As we only vacation maybe once a year, we want it to be fun and relaxing, not upsetting. Can anyone advise!
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been to Mexico 21 times. 19 to Puerto Vallarta, 1 to La Paz, 1 to Cabo San Lucas. Quite honestly bull fighting has never come up. I've never seen it or been anywhere near it. I guess it is there if you go looking for it. But I would not avoid an entire country, because of something like that myself.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Never seen a bullfight except on TV in 20 years traveling to Mexico. Have seen a couple couple of bull rings here and there including the largest in the world in Mexico City. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Many years ago we had the misfortune to be on Isla Mujeres the week of the year that there were bullfights. Had to walk by the bull ring coming and going from our hotel. It was very unpleasant.

I'm pleased to say that the bull ring has long since been torn down.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM

OK I did a quick Google on the subject (just put the words Cancun bullfight or Cozumel bullfight in a Google or other search engine).

And yes it appears there are still bull fight arenas and bull fights in both Cancun and Cozumel. So if even being in the same town/country where this happens is a problem for you, then you better not go to Mexico I guess.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Yes, bullfighting still occurs in Mexico. I believe they are usually held on Sundays between December and April. In my personal experience, bullfighting is easily avoided unless you look for it, which obviously you are not.

Mexico is a diverse and beautiful country with tons of culture. It would be sad for you and your daughters to miss out on all that Mexico has to offer because you don't want to patronize bullfighting. Bullfighting may be a part of Mexican culture but it in no way defines it.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your interesting input. I am going to talk to my daughters about it. It does seem a shame to miss out on the beautiful beaches and culture. As long as we can avoid it I guess we would be alright. I still think it is a heartless sport though!
Thanks again!
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM

I personally find the practice gory, brutal, and nothing I'd ever support or want to witness myself. But I realize it IS a part of the country's culture and history, so I try not to judge.

The closest I have ever come to a bullfight is driving by the arena in PV in a taxi or seeing an ad in the newspaper or flyer or postcard advertising an event.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM

As above, its certainly avoidable. As I said above never seen one in Mexico nor have I seen one in Spain for that matter. I also agree with the above that Mexico is such an interesting and diverse country it should not be missed. I don't know of anyone not going to the U.S. because some southern states allow people to hunt deer with dogs, to me that is despicable.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM

I am not really a fan of bullfighting but I have watched it on TV sometimes, mostly out of curiosity. If you have never watched a bullfight, you are only going by what you have heard. The things is - unless you are a vegetarian, there isn't a lot of difference between a bullfight and a slaughterhouse. I think the reason I have this perspective is because I have raised bulls and I have a great deal of respect for a man who will stand and let a 1000 pound bull charge at him. The good side of it is that these bulls are well taken care of for several years and live a really good life. They pay for that by the last 20 minutes of life - but, as I said, not that different from a slaughterhouse.

Just a slightly different perspective -- I hope they outlaw it but it is a strong part of the culture and I understand that, also.

I definitely would not avoid your trip to Mexico. As others have said, it is an interesting and beautiful country. You will not be exposed to bull fights unless you seek them out.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. You are right. We shouldn't miss a country like Mexico. However we will definitely stay away from anything or anyone that has anything to do with bullfighting!
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM

it's really not going to be a problem ;-)