Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

? about renting timeshare in Cabo, has anyone done it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:30 AM
nina

We are considering a vacation to Cabo, and after looking around the internet it appears that timeshare owners rent out their timeshares for very reasonable costs. I've found 1 bedroom units with kitchens at The Fiesta Americana, Westin Regina, Pueblo Bonito Rose and Bianco and La Jolla de Los Cabos from $120-$180 night in high season! This makse me wonder what the catch is. I assume there is no maid service, which we could do without for a week, but I am suspicious as to why I can get a beautiful oveanview unit at a top resort for such a low price when the rooms at these resorts go for double or triple the price?<BR><BR>Has anyone done this? How was the experience? Will I be hounded to buy a timeshare at the above places? That is one thing I cannot and will not tolerate. I guess I'm just wondering what the catch is. Thanks for the insight.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Tina

Nina, I rented a timeshare unit from the Owner in Aruba and we really enjoyed our stay. It was for a 1BR unit with a full kitchen and jacuzzi with oceanview and he first offered it for $1,000/wk. I know that it's a lot expensive if I book thru the hotel but since I know that his dates are fixed, I negotiated with him and got it down to $900/wk. He sent me a rental agreement, we signed it, gave him the original and I retained the copy. Paid with personal check. Called the hotel 2 weeks before we got there and they gave us a confirmation number. When we arrived, no problems at check-in. Got the room that we paid for. The housekeeping will make rounds everyday to ask you if you need towels and to empty your trash can. Since we were there for a week, the maid came once to clean up the room. My only gripe is we could hardly see the ocean from our balcony. My advise to you is to negotiate with the owner about the price, ask about the housekeeping service and any additional charges. The hotel charged us $40 for tax. This is our new way to vacation now. I love it that while most people are spending top dollars to stay at a little hotel room, I'm spending less and I have a wonderful condo all for my family and I. And one last thing, there was no timeshare pitches.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:15 AM
nina

Thanks Tina. The price does seem great. I guess the people who own the timeshares just want to break even. I do know that we would get full use of all the resort facilities, an oceanview and even the kids programs. I can get the Fiesta Americana for $ 900 week plus a refundable security deposit and $ 40 resort fee. This is way, way below what I would pay for just a hotel room (with just one room and no kitchen facilites).<BR><BR>I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. This is starting to look like the way to go!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:20 AM
I am here

You want to rent timeshare and go on Spur of the moment check out these deals<BR><BR>www.tradingplaces.com<BR>click on hot deals<BR><BR>No way I would be pay $800 a week.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Tina

To the previous thread, yes, I can get a condo for just $600 but since I want a timeshare unit in a 5 star resort with all the amenities, I'm willing to pay $900/wk since the resort wants $300/day. So you see, I've saved $1100.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:15 PM
smart shopper

First I know that I can package out hotel/air at a five star all inclusive transportation to and from the hotel included plus a couple of tours for bout<BR>$700 per person for one week on the mayan riveria.<BR><BR>Since you are concerned about five star why do you want to sit in a third world dump like Cabo.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Carla

Hi Nina,<BR><BR>I'm a timeshare owner that rents out my weeks in Cabo and there is no catch. Basically when my husband passed away we had too many weeks of vacation for me to use by myself so I offer these Gold Crown resorts at a very reasonable price (enough to cover my yearly maintenance fees). The advantage of a timeshare unit is that they are twice the size of a hotel room and most have ocean views, private bedrooms (some w/jacuzzi tubs), full kitchens and daily maid service - it makes you feel like its your own beach house. I have 2 resorts available in Cabo, Pueblo Blanco and Sheraton Hacienda del Mar (adjoining the Jack Nicklas golf course). When renting a timeshare and making a down payment, insist on receiving the acknowledgement of the reservation (which comes from the resort) and after you pay in full, you should receive an letter authorizing you and your family to use the unit for the reserved week. I have always received a kind thank you from the people I have dealt with and the bottom line is if you talk with the owner and feel the trust then you should have no problem. <BR>Also, the timeshare people do not know if you are an owner or not and will not approach you unless you make some inquiries.<BR>Try a timeshare, you'll never go back to hotel rooms again!!!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:06 AM
nina

Thanks for those helpful replies. FYI my husband would probably stick a fork in his eye before doing an All inclusive in the Mayan Riviera (Been there, done that), and while we haven't been to Cabo, several very well traveled family members and friends who stay in all the best places rave about Cabo. Somehow I doubt these folks would steer me to "a dump". We're deciding between the Westin Regina, Hacienda Del Cabo and Fiesta American Grand. From everything I've seen/read/heard I hardly think any of these places qualifies as "a dump". I also would much rather stay in a beautifully decorated oceanfront condo with king bedded master bedroom, kitchen, living room, large balcony with hot tub, then squeeze into one room with 2 double beds with my kids. <BR><BR>Oh, and if you truly can get me a 5 or 6 star all-inclusive in the Mayan Riviera for $ 700 a week during President's week I sure wish you'd let me know how.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:14 AM
nina

I meant Hacienda del Mar. Carol, My computer is in the shop (I'm at the library). When I get back next week I'd like to e-mail you re: your unit at Hacienda del Mar. I haven't gotten a reply from my inquiry there so if yours is available I'm leaning in that direction. It looks like the prettiest of the resorts.<BR><BR>We rent a Nantucket house every summer and we love having more space and privacy of having drinks or coffee on our own deck/balcony, as well as the convenience of a kitchen. I think it's more enjoyable than always having to be with other people at a bar or restaurant which you need to do when you just have a hotel room.