A restaurant recommendation for Oaxaca city.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

A restaurant recommendation for Oaxaca city.

Just looking for peoples recommendations for a "special" evening just with my wife !! The kids can stay in their room and watch cable !
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Marko, you might want to check Chowhounds.com - there's a few people there who can offer excellent recommendations.

El Naranjo is an upscale restaurant - we had lunch there, and it was quite nice. The chef is fairly well known. The food at La Biznaga was very good - it's more casual, but I thought that it would be very pretty at night. There are 2 places called Casa Oaxaca. We went to the one near the gallery and had our most expensive dinner there. It was also very nice.

Enjoy.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I still like El Catedral, its been around for a long time, not as good as it was 15 years ago but it is still a nice place with a nice atmosphere. I don't think El Naranjo or El Asador Vasco are all they are cracked up to be.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:22 PM

For something romantic, I don't think you can beat Casa Oaxaca - but not the one near the gallery, the original at the hotel. I think you need to make reservations if you are not staying at the hotel. Beautiful, intimate courtyard setting, fantastic food. we stayed there at the end of September, and of the "upscale" Oaxaca restaurants, it was definitely our favorite! The gallery location seemed nice too (we looked but did not eat there), but more hip and trendy rather than intimate.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:47 PM

I was in Oaxaca last February and tried out many. I went to Casa Oaxaca and to El Naranjo. While they were good, I liked the food at La Biznaga more, but the one I that knocked me out was El Temple, and I'd not even heard of it. Of course it depends on what style you like - El Temple was very contemporary, wonderful food I thought.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Just back - sooo many good restaurants. La Naranja was very nice. Casa Oaxaca was excellent!! We went for my husband's birthday. You will need reservations and make sure they are at the original location. It is expensive. There are three set price menus - one for $33, one $36 and one $45. We ordered the $33 and $36 menus and shared everything. We also had two mezcals and a bottle of (not very good) Mexican wine. The food is fantastic - rivals anything we've had anywhere - even Paris. Such a beautiful setting and great service.
Another pretty place - much cheaper - was Los Danzantes. Definitely an adult place with upscale, Mexican inspired food. We liked it so much we went twice!(on Alcala)
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

last topper!