Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

A question about Royal Hideaway and extra cash???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:03 AM
michelle

Hi. <BR>I was trying to figure out roughly how much our honeymoon would cost us if we went to the Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carman. <BR><BR>I know it is all-inclusive, but if we are there 7 days, I'm wondering if we will want to venture off and if so about how much do things cost in the area? Activities, restaurants? Or for you all who have been to the resort, would you say you pretty much just stayed there? <BR><BR>Thanks, just beginning the planning stages!<BR><BR>Michelle

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:09 AM
Jen

Michelle - I just booked my vaca to Royal Hideaway today! I'm going May 10-18th. I did TONS of research before I booked, and got the best rate going thru islandsands.com - they are a golden apple travel agent and beat EVERY deal on the internet -believe me, I checked. Their daily rate for a luxury room INCLUDING hotel taxes and airport transfers was $364. Rack is $550 and others on this forum generally pay $400. The hotel sells out often so not many discounts. I'm so excited! Now, I'm trying to get my hands on the dinner menus just for fun reading!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:32 AM
pat

What is thev web site that you booked. I wen www.islandsands.com and it was not a travel agent?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:53 AM
jen

sorry, typed too fast, it's tropicalsands.com. You have to fill out an email form, but I just called the number at the bottom of the screen and got a body to talk to. Did some research on them as well, they are very reputable.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:01 AM
carol

Jen, may I ask if you are paying that per person or per night based on two? I was just reading about this place, but we are a family of four, so two issues, enough space and $$. Thank you

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
jen

Carol - $364 was per night for 2 people, or $2,912 for 8 nights total tax and transfers. We requested a king bed, but you could get 2 double beds to accomodate 4 people. To make the jump to a suite for more room was WAY higher. This rate changes from week to week from what they told me, but, I also checked for October and it was $5 difference between May and October. May 1 - to early Nov is approx. the off season for the best rate. I'm not sure, but you might have to check with the Royal Hideaway on age limitations on children. I think it's 16 and older but I could be mistaken.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelle -- My wife Laurie and I have stayed in Playa many times. In April we will be at the Royal Hideaway -- our first stay with them. I highly recommend that you get into town a few times. Yaxche Mayan restaurant is a must. One of the finest restaurants in the Yucatan. It is a bit pricy, but worth it. The Blue Lobster is also great for...ah, lobster. A really fun after-dinner time can be had at the Dragon Bar at the Blue Parrot Hotel (two or three blocks from Yaxche). Bar swings instead of stools are a gas. Live music, cheep drinks, fun people, dancing and beach views all the way to Cozumel are the attraction. An &quot;up-scale night on the town will cost you around $200 USD (that would include r/t cab fare, dinner for two, tips, and the night of your life after dinner). Without question you can so a night on the town a WHOLE LOT CHEEPER. If you are adventurous, dinner can be had (off 5th avenue) for as little as $25 USD for two. If you take advantage of a &quot;street coupon&quot;, you can get your first drink free at dozens of places. Pack a swim suit in your backpack everywhere you go. If you get hot, slip into your suit and cool off before your next cervesa -- there are dozens of places on the beach where you can do a quick change in the rest room. Although topless is optional on most beaches in Playa, I recommend you avoid the topless thing if you are doing a late night swim in town. Best wishes to the two of you on your wedding. Have a blast. Ron
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Michelle -- I forgot to provide you with activities info on my post, so here it is. You can do everything imaginable from a lazy snorkle trip to an ATV tour of the jungle. A typical 1/2 day snorkle trip will run about $25 to $30 pp (and should include snacks and beverages). A day trip to Tulum and Xcaret (BRING YOUR SWIM SUIT TO TULUM!!!!), will run about $85 pp (and will include admission, food and beverages). Horse back riding and ATV tours will run $50 to $75 pp, depending on who you book with and how long you will be out for. Cycle and moped rentals will be available at your hotel. A cycle will run you $12-$15 for the day and the moped $35 to $65 depending who you rent from. Our daughter and son-in-law actually took their mopeds all the way down to Tulum -- this moped trip is not for the faint hearted. If you plan on a night on the town and a couple of excursions, plan on bringing an extra $500 to $600 USD to be sure you have enough. Also note that your VISA, MasterCard or AmEx card will be accepted almost everywhere. My experience is that the best exchange rates are obtained when using your credit card -- the reason is simple -- your card company exchanges millions per day (you cannot compete &quot;on the street&quot; with that kind of volume). Anain, enjoy and have a great time. Ron
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Michelle- I did my honeymoon in November at the Royal Hideaway and it was the closest thing to paradise this world has to offer. My recommendation to you is to not travel to too many places. We went to Cozumel for the day. Not worth missing time at the Hideaway to see Cozumel, and the entire time we were there, we talked about the resort. I do recommend seeing some of the local ruins and heading into Playa for a night or two to experience the nightlife, but the Hideway has an array of incredible, NY-City caliber restaurants that are all included. It also has waverunners, and powersailing. Do not eat in Playa, unless you want to spend money for the sake of spending money. Once you get the resort, you will not want to leave. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:46 PM

It has been very comforting to read the board. I have been working on my honeymoon plans for june. Royal Hideaway has been my top choice. At this time my range is still broad in terms of choosing destinantions and resorts. These postings are certainly a great help.