Please advise re booking methods for hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to secure my hotel. I'm looking into the Grand Minerve. I've spoken with a travel agent, who is quoting prices higher than expedia. My husband is concern about booking through the internet. Any advice? Also, is it advisable to book air and hotel together through the internet? I can't find a direct website for the hotel, but expedia appears to be the lowest price. Thanks again for your help!!!!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM

I'm not sure about the package deals, but I almost always book hotels on the internet and never once had a problem. Online prices are often cheaper than travel agent's prices. The one thing I would advise is that, if you do book online, call a few weeks before your trip to confirm that you do indeed have a reservation. Nothing would dampen a trip faster than finding out you don't have a hotel room after a long transatlantic flight!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:52 AM

HI
Are you talking about the hotel in Rome?
Email address I have is
email: [email protected]

You ask what is advisable, and the answer is, whichever way offers the best deal. First, I'd lose the travel agent.
What exactly is your husband objecting to? Email bookings are done every day all the time. If you don't want to send your credit card info via an email, you can split the account number into two separate emails or two separate faxes, but I don't think one way is more or less secure than the other.

Compare the price the hotel offers you with the expedia price. I've never had a hotel refuse to honor a lower price that I've found elsewhere.

In any case, even if you book with expedia, confirm all arrangements directly with the hotel. It establishes you as their customer, and avoids any breakdowns in communication.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Rod

While I don't know the hotel specifically, my general experience is that if the travel agent does know the property, and especially if he/she has booked there before, I'd go with the agent absent a huge price difference. The hotel has a relationship with them to maintain, etc., just as the agent has one with you and the hotel. If the price difference is big, you might note that to the agent. Just remember that the agent has time and expertise invested, all of which is to provide value to you, and for which the agent deserves compensation.

On the other hand, if the agency just found the hotel in a book without any particular expertise, I'd lean toward the internet.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm talking about the hotel in Rome-- forgot to specify. I think my husband is concerned with the uncertainty of booking in a foreign country with nowhere to turn if things get screwed up. He also wants travel insurance, which I assume we can get through other avenues? I personally realize through input here that getting rid of the travel agent is the way to go. Actually, she is just giving me prices based on what info I give her. She isn't even familiar with the Pantheon area, so I know the advice isn't based on experience, other than she stayed in the Borghese area many years ago and liked that. I'm trying to contact the Minerve directly re prices, and to follow the advice of developing the relationship.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Expedia is the largest online travel site, and is totally reliable.

HOWEVER, make sure you read the fine prints about cancellation very carefully. That's the policy dictated by the hotel. Some of the best prices require immediate payment with no possible refunds. Some have very high cancellation charges. Do not book anything unless you totally understand how much you're going to lose if you're not going to stay there, for whatever reason.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM

HI
Travel insurance can be quite expensive relatively speaking.
Unless you or someone in your family has a serious health issue, or you have prepaid, or the cancellation policy requires more than a couple of days' notice, the odds are you won't need insurance. Weigh the cost of it compared with what your loss might be if the hotel charged you for the first night because you didn't show up.

I'm confused by "no where to turn if things get screwed up"? You're not going to a wilderness, you're going to a major city where tourism is important. The Minerve, like most good hotels, doesn't screw up on a frequent basis. Should some error occur, they have every reason to want to correct it.
If worse came to worse and they refused to accommodate you on arrival, there are tourist offices in Rome (one is at Termini station) that will help you find an alternative, or you can walk a few blocks in any direction and find several hotels.