Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

2/28--3/1: Is 4 nights in Cabo San Lucas enough? I won a 4 nt trip to Dreams, but was considering another 2 nts at Westin afterwards...

Search

2/28--3/1: Is 4 nights in Cabo San Lucas enough? I won a 4 nt trip to Dreams, but was considering another 2 nts at Westin afterwards...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Silver Spring MD and won a sales contest at work for 4 nights at Dreams Cabos San Lucas and we could pay extra (got a rate of $215 a nt at the Westin Cabo) to stay longer. We don't drink, so we didn't want to stay at Dreams an extra 2 nights in their all inclusive deal as it's $520 and wayyy too expensive for us.

We have an SPG 50% off coupon and can use it for the Westin, which brings our rate down to $215 a night. At first we though staying another 2-3 nts would be great, but now my wife is thinking that maybe 4 nts is enough to really "do" that area, and we can just save the money for another trip.

Any thoughts on this?

Thx,
Steve R
Silver Spring MD
USA
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear stever:

Considering you are coming from such a long way, I'd stay another 2 or 3 nights. That way you can have time to explore and relax.

Ask your ? on tripadvisor.com. It's forum on Cabo has more action.
Here is the link to our trip report from last year:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34769739

Good luck,

My
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

My - I hear what you're saying. Thx alot for the reply. That's what I thought, but we're kind of trying to save money and thought 4 rushed days packed with activities and meetings would be enough. Obviously, that's kind of stupid in a way. We'll just be starting to relax and then will have to come home. The thing is, we went to Positano Italy for 5-6 nts last year after 2 weeks of traveling and were totally bored there after 2 nts. We had seen all we cared to see and it rained most of the time. We couldn't wait to get home. We weren't ON the beach, and the beach wasn't that great. I'm sure Cabo will be totally different and we won't be bored after 4 packed days and nts.

Steve R
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM

Steve, if you are going to play several rounds of golf or try your hand at marlin fishing then the extra days would probably come in handy.

But if you are not into these sports and just want to chill out on the beaches by day and maybe hit a couple of bars and restaurants by night then 4 nights is probably enough.

Cabo can be a very intense place, in some ways similar to Vegas, where after about 3 nights you may find you've had enough.

Westin is a very nice place, we've stayed there three times ... you could also rent a car and hit some totally different places on day trips, like Todos Santos or East Cape. These are 180 degrees out of phase with the Cabo party/timeshare scene and worthy of relaxing day trips, I feel.

Bill
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Great tip about Cabo, Bill. When I think "car in Mexico", my vision is of the news reports I hear about folks going across the border from the US and getting jacked, or just generally ripped off. Obviously, I'm assuming this isn't the case with the Cabo area... Maybe we will rent a car for a day and stay over the extra few nights. I'm having a hard time deciding... We don't golf by the way nor fish at all. Pretty boring I guess.

Hmmm - maybe we'll be dying to get on home after 4 night in the "Vegas" of Mexico as you say!

Steve R
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM

I could see how 5 days in Positano would get old ... up & down the hill. We based in Sorrento so we would have better access to Capri, Pompeii etc. Plus my DH has a short attention span,so more action is needed.

Yes, Cabo can be intense. But we have learned to slow down, relax by the pool with a drink etc. This last Oct. we went down for 6 nights and rented a car. We went up to Todos Santos. Very nice. I would love to spend a few days there and this would be the place:

http://www.posadalapoza.com/

Good luck,

my
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM

To me, 4 nights in Cabo is plenty.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Hmm - we have to decide soon, like by tomorrow at 3pm. We're considering just going for it and adding on the extra 3 nts at the Westin.

I hope this is the right move...

Steve R
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:06 AM

<b>we have to decide soon, like by tomorrow at 3pm. We're considering just going for it and adding on the extra 3 nts at the Westin. I hope this is the right move...</b>

Steve, our last trip to this area we spent 2 nights at Todos Santos (small town north of Cabo), 2 nights in Cabo (Finisterra ... old habits die hard), 3 nights at the Westin (outside Cabo), and one night at East Cape (small fishing lodge about an hour NE of the airport). That was a nice mix, each place is very different from the others.

So I'd say 'go for it' and if you feel a bit of Cabo overload just get a rental car at the Westin and do a day trip north to East Cape or over and north to Todos Santos, which has one of the best restaurants in Mexico (Santa Fe Cafe or something like that), nice art galleries, the Hotel California and no time share salesmen

Bill
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Excellent suggestion, Bill. I took notes of everything you guys said, plus info on Trip Advisor and now I have my mini travel guide .

I hope we don't regret staying so far from Cabo - I don't think we will.

Steve R
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:07 AM

Dear stever:

Here is another link for activities:

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Mag...-Sanctuary.htm

You will be there during the peak of whale season!! Have fun!!

MY
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michelle - I've pasted that link to my list of notes for the trip. I can't talk my wife into the 14 hr trip but maybe a quick Zodiac trip would work for her (the Whalewatching one).

Steve R
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM

Hi Steve,

I'm probably too late to help with your decision, but we just got back from Cabo early this morning, 3:30 AM, in fact. We stayed on Medano Beach at La Estancia for 3 nights with some friends. We had a blast, loved the absolutely stunning rock formations, Lovers Beach, and the marina and felt 3 nights there was enough time to enjoy the area, even though it was a long flight from Boston. If you stay longer, hire a driver and go to Todos Santos or do an excursion.

Enroute from the airport we stopped at Dreams to drop off some people and it looked beautiful, so I'm sure you'll enjoy the place. Just don't forget to take a watertaxi to the Arch!!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Jaynean - Oh well, we just extended our plane fare to add 3 more nights .

So... I guess we'll have to rent a car and check out some of those places you recommend. My list is pretty long so if we even get to half of them, we'll be happy.

Steve R