Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Trip Report-Dreams and Westin Cabo San Lucas 3/38-4/4/07: Cabo rocks!

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Well, thanks to you folks we had a great time in Cabo San Lucas. We got to Dreams first and found the food pretty bad, ok, really bad. How can they charge $718 a nt?!? We didn't get it. We got a $525 rate through my company, and the whole trip there was free due to a contest I won at work for top sales, so we were grateful we didn't have to pay. We don't drink alcohol, so we didn't get that "money's worth" aspect from that either. Our room was directly in the center, oceanfront, in the "fishbowl" above the pool.

We loved the beach there even though it was unswimmable. So peaceful and quiet compared to most beaches we go to here on the east coast. We enjoyed the quiet pool on the far side of the resort but found the big pool too crowded and noisy. Tough to get chairs, so we played the game and got up at 7am and put down our books and towels early. Yes, we used them shortly after that. Nuff said about reserving chairs, that's beaten to death.

We did the swedish massage at Dreams and it was awesome. Best we've ever had. Also loved the salt scrub massage. Incredible. The horseback riding for 2 hours on the beach was pure ... torture! It killed my butt, legs, and bal** the entire time I was on the horse. I was dying when it was trotting. Wish I hadn't done this trip but the pics were great. Last time I ever horseback ride. I was aching for days and my wife got a huge purple and red bruise on her "lower area". She was in agony the next day. Maybe the saddles were screwed up?

Liked the day trip to Cabo San Jose and Cabo San Lucas. Expecially liked the quaintness of San Jose. The marina was really sweet in Cabo San Lucas.

We drove to Todos Santos one day on our own in a rental car and it was an excruciatingly long drive. Got lost in Cabo San Lucas by accident at the beginning of our journey and got really frustrated but we got back on track and were set. The drive was SOOOOO long to Todos Santos and we wish we didn't do it, but we did and had a great meal at Los Adobes I think it was called. Wonderful mexican food.

We checked out other hotels like Esperanza, Palmilla the one and only, and Las Ventanas (Rosewood Resort) and loved them all. Palmilla was the most incredible for views and beach though. We'd love to go back there one year but it's too rich for our bank account at $700+ a night in season.

We checked out of Dreams after 4 nights and got to our $215 room at the Westin (1/2 price through a Starwood 1/2 off couple). It was incredible, and MUCH nicer than Dreams. Loved the architecture and our room while smaller than Dreams, was outfitted much nicer. Our room at Dreams was downright shabby, with a lamp that was moldy and gross, a fridge that was rusted, and linens that were awfully scratchy. Westin was the opposite. They even upgraded us after one night due to an A/C problem to direct oceanfront in the Royal Club section so we had breakfast and dinner included for free! We were in heaven there. The pools and beach were fantastic, the staff was decent, and the barbque dinner buffet we paid for one night was excellent and at $39 each, kind of a bargain.

Here are our pics. Just type in my email address and then the password to view them:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...id=0&ownerid=0

[email protected] (email address)
555555 (password)

Cabo San Lucas was MUCH nicer than Positano, Italy that we visited for 5 nights last year. There was lots more to do (believe it or not), the beaches were light years better even though only the Hilton that I walked to from Dreams was swimmable, and the food was tremendous. I never thought food in Mexico would be so gourmet.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Steve and Julia R
Silver Spring, MD USA
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Dear stever:

I am glad you liked Cabo and enjoyed your trip!! We like going down because from here on the West Coast, it is a fairly short airplane ride.

MY
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Steve, I remember your posts asking if it was worth staying a few extra days in Cabo ... glad it worked out for you.

We also enjoy the Westin ... the first time we went there it was $299 per person for round-trip airfare and three nights lodging when they first opened it up

Bill
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks for an interesting report, and for the heads up on Dreams!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thx for the replies, folks. I wished I lived closer to Cabo. It took 12 hours of travel just to get home! Sat on the runway for 90 minutes in Houston to DC. Ughhhhh.

Cheers,
Steve R