Notices

Zurich to Como by train

Feb 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Zurich to Como by train

Is this a scenic ride? - I would think so unless there is alot of time spent in tunnels!
Feb 24th, 2013, 05:46 AM

It's not a lot of time in tunnels although there are a few. Sometimes you can snag a discount fare on sbb.ch in advance (at least two weeks) for about 25 chef. It's called a saver fare.
Feb 24th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

For the saver fare - what is the earliest I could find that? 60 days ahead of time?
Feb 24th, 2013, 07:16 AM

This is the historic Gotthard itinerary, with elicoidal tunnels to gain and lose elevation - there is the famous Wassen church on the north ramp; you first see it from a lower track, after few minutes you pass close to it at the same level, after few minutes you can see it again from an elevated track. There is also a stretch by the Lugano lake.
Feb 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM

>>>For the saver fare - what is the earliest I could find that?<<<

Not sure, but I think it's 120 days. What are your dates?

On sbb.ch you want the main Zurich station (Zurich HB) to Como S. Giovanni. The trains you want to look at have no changes and are designated EC (usually depart every 2 hours or so). Usually when you enter your cities and the list of trains appear you will see saver fare special below the list (it will say saver fare Zurich/Milan 23chf). You can click that and proceed from there or you can select an EC train from the fare screen.

I always notify my credit card in advance that I'm making a foreign internet purchase so they don't block the transaction. You will have to pick these tickets up at a station in Zurich (at least that was the only option last time I bought them) and it will ask you to select which station so allow time for that. If you are traveling very early, check ticket office opening hours or retrieve your ticket the day before.

If you aren't used to traveling by train, be aware that trains only stop for a minute or two at pass through stations like Como(about 10-15 minutes for pull in stations such as Milan or Zurich). You need to be at the door ready to get off with your luggage when it stops. Print the list of stops/times so you will know when it's time to gather your things.

If you want to filter out the other trains and just see mostly the EC trains, enter Zurich/Milan. There's a gap in service mid-day (between 11 and 3).
Feb 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful info - yes, we have traveled by train in Europe and know we need to be ready to GET OFF the train! One more question - on the not-EC trains, there is a change in Bellanzno to an "S" train - I am not familiar with that designation - is it sort of like a "R" train?
Feb 24th, 2013, 11:16 AM

You can't get the saver fare unless it's the EC train. S train would be an urban/suburban train. EC trains are the international trains between Switzerland and Italy. It would more likely be an IR or ICN train than an S train from Zurich to Bellinzona. It would also cost more. Why would you want an extra transfer? You could book the EC train Zurich/Bellinzona if that is your destination. It's hard to advise if Zurich/Como is not your actual destination.
Feb 24th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Well the saver fares on the EC trains are a good deal - we will be arriving into the airport and then immediately, well ASAP, setting out for Como so I'm a bit cautious about the timing. I was just looking thru the different options and saw the "S" designation that I had never seen before. But I am thinking we will give ourselves some margin time-wise and try to book the last morning EC train. I assume we can pick up the saver tickets at the airport train station?
Feb 24th, 2013, 01:51 PM

If you want a beautiful scenic route, travel to Chur and catch the Bernina Express down to Tirano. Change there for a train on to Lake Como.
Feb 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM

>>>we will be arriving into the airport and then immediately, well ASAP, setting out for Como so I'm a bit cautious about the timing.<<<

I would allow time if you checked luggage it will take a bit longer. You might want to get a few Swiss francs (or not), get tickets for local train from airport to Zurich (or tram #10 outside - need cash for tram ticket machine). Train is faster than the tram. There's a small grocery/convenience store in the main Zurich train station along with several food venues if you want to get something to take on the train.

Another option is buy the Zurich Card, spend the day in Zurich (luggage lockers at the train station) and take a 5 or 7 pm train to Como.
http://www.zuerich.com/en/Visitor/zuerich-card.html

Search this Thread