Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from the Lakes to Zurich by train......thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, as part of our 3.5month stay in Europe we will be on Lake Como for 10 days. Our friends from Australia will be joining us for this period. They have never been overseas before and obviously want to see and do as much as possible. (they will also be in Venice and Milan with us)

Dh & I went to Zurich a few years ago on business and really enjoyed our time. We are thinking of taking a train (we will have a car) and going for the day. We realize it will be along day, 3hrs each way. But we figure the scenery on the way and giving them one more experience will be worth it.

Love to hear your thoughts on this, should we drive? Which gives us flexibility if we want to stop a long the way. Catch the train, easier no parking hassles etc.

We are thinkiing of an ealy start arriving late morning, touring around the city, a cruise on the lake and then dinner at the Adler. Dh & I had the most amazing Foundue there last time. And then catch a late train back.

So what do you think? And do you have any other thoughts for this 'outing'?
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:53 PM

I would much prefer Luzern which is much closer.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would prefer Luzern also. If you decide to train, the EC train from Milan to Zurich stops in Como S. Giovanni and Chiasso. You can book in advance (2 weeks at least) and get a special rate (19€). It's called Smart on Trenitalia.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

If Trenitalia doesn't let you book the discount for the return, you can do it on the Swiss website, but you must enter your cities as Zurich and Milan. The discount is 30chf. I entered a random date in July and you can see the discounts are sold out on some trains and regular price is shown (58chf).
https://www.sbb.ch/mct/wi/shop/b2c/pipSchritt_2.do

See my thread about the stops on this discount fares between Milan, Zurich, Geneva and Basel.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-to-milan.cfm
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will mention it to DH, we have also been to Luzern, but just passed through on our way to Mt Titlis. I remember it being very very pretty.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Unless there is something special you want to see in Zurich I would also suggest Lucerne.

Try to take the Swiss railways' train with the panoramic roof - I will try to find when the timetable for these. When exiting the San Gotthard tunnel on the north side you will pass the church a Wassen three times! Once above it, once along side it and once below it due to the feat of Swiss tunnel engineering.

A tour of the lake is recommended and some of the boats offer lunch as part of the package.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nochblad, DH who is 'nuts' about bridges & tunnels would love that.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 02:43 AM

Well - to put DH into seventh heaven consider the Glacier Express from St. Moritz or Davos to Zermatt - see http://www.glacierexpress.ch/EN/Pages/default.aspx

291 bridges and 91 tunnels! What more can I say ....