Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best train to take from Venice to Zurich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a train ride (no sightseeing in the middle) from these two cities during a day time. Any recommendation on how to go about purchasing the train fare online?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

You have to change in Milan. Select Zurich main station when it asks which Zurich station.

Select the Smart 1 fare if available in the fare drop down box (greater than 12 years of age)for a discount price.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:12 PM

I also need info for train travel between Venice & Zurich. Does anyone know how long of a ride it is ? Also, how are the conditions of the trains ? Are they nice or ?? Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:13 PM

Yes, Venice-Milan means a smart Eurostar City train, Milan to Zurich is a smart tilting ETR470, on one of the most scenic mainline routes through the Alps, the Gotthard.

Use www.bahn.de to find train times (but not prices), then use www.trenitalia.com to book, looking for 'Smart Price' in the drop down box marked 'More fares' after you have selected a train and reached the fares selection page.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 05:37 AM

You will probably get a better price if you book Venice/Milan (mini-fares as low as 9€) and Milan/Zurich (Smart 1 fare 19€). The cheapest I've seen booking Venice/Zurich is 51€.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:03 PM

I can't find any time tables in www.bahn.de.
Also in www.trenitalia.com how to book from venice-milan and then milan-zurich at 9 and 51 euros ?
please help me out as i am travelling with my wife on 9 Dec and is it better to purchase tickets online or should the tickets be bought at the spot ?
thanks
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Dec. 9 will be the start of the winter schedules. They likely aren't loaded yet. Keep checking on Trenitalia until they pop up.

Discounted tickets can sell out. You might be able to snag some 9€ (regular price is 36€) discounted tickets for Venice/Milan.

For Milan/Zurich, select the Smart fare (in the fare drop down box) if available (19€).
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

Register on Trenitalia before purchase. This link explains how to register and purchase (don't click the links - scroll down and read). Also notify your credit card company you will be making an Italian online purchase so they don't block the transaction.
http://www.roninrome.com/transportat...ebsite-updated
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 10:24 PM

I couldnt understand "SMART FARE"

and how to select the SMART FARE ??
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 11:43 PM

> Dec. 9 will be the start of the winter schedules. They likely aren't loaded yet. Keep checking on Trenitalia until they pop up.

I have taken the train a few times Geneva - Venice in December (Christmas time) but due to this, I had to wait for reservation always till around mid November. So don't be surprised if you need to wait long. Still it's a good idea to check from time to time in case the reservation opens suddenly.