Buy 3 country selectpass.

Old May 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy 3 country selectpass.

I need to buy 2 Eurails asap. My children are leaving in 2 weeks and need a 3 country (Switzerland, France, Italy) 6 day pass for youth (They're 21 and 19.) What's the best way to do this? Do you recommend Rick Steves's website?

Also, what is the best way for me to price train travel from Zurich to Cinque Terre? We found a great airfare and are considering going for a week soon. I don't think we need a Eurail pass since it would be just 2 days. How long would it take and what would the price be?

Thank you! Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Are your kids sure they need passes? Do they understand that for most trains in Italy (and some in France) they will need to pay an additional fee for seat reservations (required on all, but the slow R trains).

As for Zurich to CT, you will need to look at sbb.ch the Swiss rail site for Zurich/Milan tickets. You can often find a discount for this ticket (25-30 chf) if you book at least two weeks in advance.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

For the Milan/CT portion, look at the Italian rail site. For all prices to show, enter a date within the next 7 days.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help! These links were exactly the info I needed and will help us plan.

Do you recommend buying these online? The savings for the advance purchase from Zurich to Milan makes the cost half price. If I buy them online, will I print off the tickets or pick them up at the train station in Zurich?

I sincerely appreciate your advice! Karen
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I had to pick mine up in the station in Zurich. During the purchase process on sbb.ch, you have to select which station to pick them up. I selected the main station in Zurich.

For the Milan/CT tickets, you won't find sale prices for these unless you book them in sections. Only the faster trains have sales (AV,ES,IC) and since this route is a combo of IC and R trains, the sale fare won't pop up. Try entering Milan and Sestri, then you can select some mini fares (I see fares as little as 8€ for the noon IC train). If you buy online from Trenitalia, you should have the option of receiving your ticket code by e-mail. The Sestri/CT can be bought when you arrive (3-4€).
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice! Our flight (if on time) arrives in Zurich at 7:50. There is a train 1 hour later that leaves the Zurich airport, connecting at the Zurich central station for Milan.
The flight could be late and it would be a problem if I buy the discounted train tickets that are nonrefundable. Just wondering if we should wait to get this portion (Zurich-Milan)that morning so there is no problem.
We've never been to Milan and could spend a night there and try to see the Last Supper before heading over to CT the next day.
Just brainstorming possibilities! Thank you so much for your advice!