Search

Zurich or not

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich or not

We will be flying into Zurich on the 27th May and out on the 29th. We are thinking about staying over in a small village not to far from the airport. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:44 AM

Kuesnacht or Rapperswil. What's "not too far"? Maybe Luzern, which is just over an hour from the airport by direct train.

I've stayed in Kuesnacht twice and plan to do it again in Dec. I've also stayed in Meilen and Uetikon, both of which are charming too.

s
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I will have to read up about the places you have mentioned as I do not know anything about them. Any recommendations as where stay? Have been to Lucern before.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Hi Henda,

In Kuesnacht I've stayed at the Hermitage (right on the lake) twice, but it's pricey. That hotel staff just opened a b&b right in Kuesnacht town, and I'm going to stay there this Dec. The b&b is called Villa Ermitage, and single rooms go for 99 chf; both hotels are at www.hermitage.ch. My friend, who lives nearby Kuesnacht, told me that the b&b is the building that used to house the hotel staff, and that it may get train noise from being too close to the train station. I think it'll be nice though. The Ermitage is very well known for their great restaurant. There are a few direct trains to the airport each hour.

I stayed at the Hirschen am See in Obermeilen last May -- www.hirschen-meilen.ch. Obermeilen is a further 15-minute walk from the Meilen train station or a few stops by city bus. I loved this hotel -- charming, right on the lake, inexpensive, good restaurant, very friendly folks. I just didn't like the inconvenient location. If you're driving, though, it shouldn't be a problem. You have to change trains in Zurich or in Kuesnacht to take a train to the airport.

A few years ago, I stayed at the Alpenblick in Uetikon http://www.landhotelalpenblick.com/, another very charming hotel in a charming village above Lake Zurich, again with a suburb restaurant and tremendous views. The hotel is surrounded by rolling hills, with lots of horse/walking/cycling trails nearby. It's almost impossible to access, though, without a car. It's about $20 by taxi from the Uetikon train station, or a bus ride and a short hike uphill. It's really in the sticks (my friend got lost every time she drove to it). It's charming though. You have to change trains in Kuesnacht or in Zurich to take a train to the airport.

Rapperswil is pretty far away, but it's a very charming town directly on Lake Zurich!! It's not a village. There is an impressive castle, lots of shops, a beautifully developed harbor area, a beautiful old town, and at least one upscale hotel there. Because it's about the same distance from the Zurich airport as Luzern, I would just stay in Luzern and haven't stayed here. But I ate at one of the cafes at the Schwanen Hotel (www.schwanen.ch), and the hotel has a lovely position. If you want to research hotels in this town, just browse around www.rapperswil.ch.

I hope this helps you get out of the city -- I highly recommend staying in the suburbs!!

s
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Henda:
I also liked the town of Zug very much, just 45 minutes by train from the airport (I/m sure closer by car).
Ther is a traffic-free old town, a tower to climb (get the key next door at the police station), lovely lakeside cafes, and yummy Zugertorte!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Hi Henda,

Though I'd help you find these towns, if you haven't found them already. They're all on Lake Zurich, down the eastern side of the lake. Kuesnacht is about 7 km from Zurich; Obermeilen is about 9 km from Kuesnacht; and Rapperswil is about 15 km from Obermeilen, all going south and away from the airport.

Here's a link to a map: http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/destinations.cfm?category=Destinations&subcat= Zurich&id=12005&CFID=786135&CFTOKEN=81 085517&jsessionid=a4307245d865$1BGY$3F

This is the page on Rapperswil. On the right hand side of the page, you'll see a small, yellow, square map -- click on the "click here" to be directed to a nice map where you can see all these towns.

Hope this helps!

s