Seeking reasonably priced accomodation in small town near Zurich airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to find a reasonably priced B&B or guesthouse in a small town near Zurich airport, within a half hour drive if possible. I would like to keep the price under 150 Sfr for a double room.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Hi Ella,

The Villa Ermitage (http://www.villa-ermitage.ch/EN/portrait/por1.php) is where I had planned to stay last December; unfortunately, they decided to close for the season. I plan to stay there on my next visit.

The V-E is in the town of Kuesnacht, about 45 minutes from the airport by train, so I'm sure it's just about 30 minutes by car. I've stayed in Kuesnacht about three times, and I really love this little town on Lake Zurich -- it has a nice little park and a lovely shopping area with cafes, etc.

Unfortunately, the V-E lists its rates for a double at 190 chf. But you may be able to get a better rate if you e-mail and ask.

s
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Zurich itself is only about a 10-15 minute train ride or drive from the airport, so you are just as well off staying in Zurich, IMO, esp if your objective is to spend more than one night and to see Zurich, as you will save time and money from having to take a train or tram into Zurich each day.

If you are just looking for an airport hotel for one night, try

Movenpick Hotel Zurich-Airport, go to moven-pickhotels.com
Novotel Zurich Airport, go to http://www.accorhotels.com
Formulae 1 Hotel, go to accorhotels.com

There is also a Novotel in Regensdorf, which would qualify for your 30 minute drive requirement (its about 15-20 minutes by car or train) AND also has easy and quick access to the very charming medieval town of Regensburg up on top of the hill nearby, worth a visit and very much off the US tourist path.

Accor operates other hotels in the Zurich area which might also work, esp in the Zurich City West area or the Ibis in Adliswil (a car is preferred for the latter.)

There is also a Renaissance hotel and a Hilton near the airport both of which have a shuttle bus to get to the airport. Most likely not in your price range but if you have points you could use them

If you want reccos for hotels in Zurich itself other than Accor brands mentioned above, write back and I can suggest some, but as you probably know, in that price range in Zurich they may all end up being 2 stars that are not that nice.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

We were just planning on spending one night there before our flight out in the morning. I know hotel rates in Zurich are expensive, so I was hoping to find cheaper accomodations out of town, preferably someplace quaint and with some character. Swandav - I have tried to e-mail some places in Switzerland hoping to get a better price than what they had listed on their website. Unfortunately, I've had several e-mail me back with more expensive prices, saying they hadn't had time to update to 2005 new price lists!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Ella:
I can't say enough about the quaint town of Zug, just 30 minutes from Zurich by train. Its on a lake with swans, an old town, yummy outdoor cafes, an old clock tower for climbing (get the key from the police station next door after leavinga small refundable deposit).
I plan to stay here next year the night before my flight home as well.
website is www.zug.ch click on 'tourismus' then 'hotels'...don't be taken aback by the german. Click on the individual hotel names for descriptions, most available in english! Happy travels!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I have stayed many times at the Welcome Inn in the town of Kloten. The hotel is just a couple of blocks from the Kloten train station (very frequent service from Zurich HB). The hotel operates a free shuttle to the airport. Modern hotel with a decent, simple restaurant. Nice people. The town of Kloten is very old, and interesting to walk around.