Where to Stay NEAR Zurich in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have 1.5 days; arrive the morning of the first day and then leaving around 7PM the evening of the second day for Barcelona.

Originally planned to stay In town itself but now wondering about somewhere nearby.

I've DONE Luzern several times and while nice would prefer somewhere else that is within an HOUR by train to Zurich.

This will be in late November; I am sure I COULD go back to Luzern but would rather see/stay somewhere new.

Any suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM

Hi Dukey,

I understand completely. I always stay outside of Zürich myself!

My first suggestion is the sweet town of Rapperswil, also on the lake. It's about 40 minutes from the city and has a castle on a hill, a lovely old town, and a nice cafe-lined harbor.

My other suggestion is the town of Küsnacht, also on the lake only about 15-20 minutes from the city. This is where I've stayed about four times; the last two times at the Hotel Sonne (www.sonne.ch), which is a favorite. When you leave the train station, use the underpass to cross the busy main street, and you'll emerge at the door of the hotel. It sits right on the lake! The town itself has a nice little park. Your neighbor will be, of course, Tina Turner, who owns a villa nearby.

Have fun!

s
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for the fast response. I'll definitely check out the Hotel Sonne as well as the Rapperswil idea.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the Sonne is booked for my dates in November..oh well....
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:29 AM

Stein am Rhein is exactly one hour from Zurich airport on the trains that leave from the airport station at 52 minutes past the hour (change at Winterthur). There aren't many hotels in Stein am Rhein itself, but you could try the Hotel Chlosterhof Stein am Rhein (no personal recs, we've never stayed there).
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:32 AM

http://www.stein-am-rhein.ch/xml_1/I...ation/f107.cfm

(click on tourismus)
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:35 AM

(sorry to keep posting like this), there's always my city, Basel! Lots to see and do here, even if you will have missed the big Autumn Fest.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Well, then how about a recommendation for a HOTEL in Basel?????
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM

Les Trois Rois is the king of Basel hotels. Rooms overlooking the Rhine, a bar with a fireplace, afternoon tea (if you want to have it), a block (ish) away from the Marktplatz

http://www.lestroisrois.com/Grand-Ho...7573ab0.0.html

However, recent reviews are a little mixed.

Other good hotels include the Hotel Euler and the St. Gotthard (both right by the train station), the Hotel Basel (a block from Marktplatz which has frequent tram connections to/from the train station). I haven't stayed at the Euler, but they make a great cappuccino (we have been to their cafe).

Places I'd avoid: The Radisson Blu. Nothing wrong with the hotel, but if your stay is over a week-end, it will be very noisy with the university crowd partying along the streets outside. Also the Hilton. I don't know what the rooms and service are like, but it's one UGLY building. Its ugliness is trumped only by nearby office buildings that look like neglected nuclear plant cooling towers.

TA lists DasBreitehotel as number 1 (!!??). I don't know what the hotel is like inside, but it's in a boring neighborhood and right next to a main highway.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM

Baden (Aarau) is a cute spa town with good train connections to Zurich.
We stayed at Landgasthaus zum Hirschen in Kirchforf (very close to Baden). Excellent restaurant.