Zurich Airport Connection

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich Airport Connection

Hello!

I'm flying into Zurich soon and would like to take advantage of a discounted train fare, however I'm not sure if I'll have enough time after I arrive to get to the train. My flight is scheduled to land at 8:05am and the train leaves at 9:28am. Does anyone out there know Zurich Airport well enough to predict if 1 hour and 20 minutes is sufficient time to disembark, go through customs, pick up luggage and get to the train?

Thank you!
jglags
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM

If it were a perfect world, and your flight arrives ON TImE, that would be sufficient. Trains are right across the street (or is it downstairs? I forget!). BUT...is your first flight from America? Does the airline give stats on "on time performance?" I personally have arrived late on only one out of ten trips (more often, we were a bit early), but a nonrefundable ticket? Depends on price and your comfort level.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 12:32 PM

One can never predict with certainty whether and how late a flight might be (or even if it might be cancelled, which does happen). So - if you get a great train fare by purchasing in advance, and if you're willing to take the risk that you'll miss your connection and then have to pay full fare - go for it. It all depends on your risk tolerance!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

I will be flying from Dulles and, Mokka, I too have most always arrived early when flying from DC into Europe. The ticket is changeable/refundable for 15 euro, so it's not a huge deal, but the later trains are 3-4 connections to my destination, where the 9:28 train is just one connection...I can sleeep!

My question was more around navigating through the Zurich Airport. I looked at a map online, but it's hard to tell if it's a huge airport and distances are great, making it physically impossible to get from plane to customs to baggage to train....or if the distances are reasonable and doable, given my flight is on time. Mokka, sounds like distances are reasonable, so I think I'll go ahead and get the tickets and keep my fingers crossed we get in a little early.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM

I have been through Zurich airport about a zillion times in the last 3 years or so due a client in Basle. The answer is - just - if nothing goes wrong at all.

Usually we get through Immigration in about 10 minutes or so - but have had it take more than 30 minutes when several international planes land at once - esp if more than one is from a "difficult" area where admittance is not automatic.

The train is in the basement of the airport - and it's quick to get there - but Immigration and collecting luggage don't work on a clock.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, NYTraveler. Maybe I am pushing it. dang.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM

If the exchange penalty is really only 15 E, I would personally risk it! So what? If you don't make the connection, it only cost around $25 penalty, AND there is still the later train option...