Search

Zermatt to Geneva

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zermatt to Geneva

Hi

We're heading to Zermatt in a couple of weeks for a week, then doing a week in Morzine in France. I'm trying to decide where to collect our hire car from. At the moment, I think we'll hire in Taesch and drive to Morzine, via Geneva. How long does it take to drive from Taesch to Geneva?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:36 AM

I suppose I'll get slammed for this but how are you getting to zermatt in the first place? I assume by rail.

If all you need to do is get to Geneva (as opposed to stopping and sightseeing along the way), why don't you consider taking the train to Geneva and renting the car there?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we're training from Geneva to Zermatt.

In terms of the nitty gritty background...we need to get from Zermatt to Morzine and can only travel from Geneva to Morzine by car (or bus - which we're not taking). It costs the same amount to hire a car regardless as to whether we collect the car to drive to Morzine from Geneva or Zermatt...therefore, I thought we'd save 200 CHF on the Zermatt to Geneva train trip and drive from Zermatt to Morzine rather than train....hence, how long does it take to get from Taesch to Geneva?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Is there a rental-car agency in Taesch? That's a tiny village of 1000 inhabitants, only claim to fame is that all visitors have to leave their vehicles there to take the shuttle to Zermatt. Research that carefully, and if there is one, will it let you write a contract for a long-distance drop-off?

On this site the village lists all its businesses, from ski instructors to taxis to Mr. Bruno Mooser the local baker - no mention of car rentals:

ww.taesch.ch/d/gewerbe.html

My gut feeling is that you'll have to get down into the Rhone valley, at least to Visp, to have a chance at renting a car.

WK
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Exactly what I was thinking, Wally..or if not in Visp there would certainly be a place in Brig.

Gemini79, I've never driven the route, only done it by rail. You could get fairly accurate mileages if you use www.viamichelin.com or perhaps www.mappy.com
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Anna,

That IS your name, right???? You've already gotten the map sites on your OTHER post.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Avis has a branch in Tasch. The drive from Tasch to Geneva is about 3 hours.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone for your help.

Intrepid - yes, I did get a response from my other query, but not until after you'd replied!

We've hired a car from Taesch driving to Geneva, takes about 3 hours....or so I'm told.