Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long in St. Gallen, Appenzell, Stein mm Rhein area?

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of my 2 week trip to Germany and Switzerland, I'm considering visiting the Appenzell, Stein am Rhein, St. Gallen area. How long should I plan to spend there? I can spend as little as one and as many as 3-4 days there. Also, would if be feasible to base myself in that area, and take a day trip to Luzern? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

IMO the biggie site in St. Gallen is the abbey church and the library (the latter has definitely limited visiting hours) which can easily be done in less than a day; perhaps in less than 1/2 a day.

The last visit we spent twso nights in Appenzell and we felt this was sufficient.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM

4 days will be sufficient. There is much more to see and do than onyl the abbey in St. Gallen.

If you have a short look at the museums (in the former convents) in Stein am Rhein and Schaffhausen you need a full day for each town. Yes, you can day trip to Luzern, but the ride is IMO a bit long.

There are still Diessenhofen (a cute small town), the carhusian convent Ittingen, Appenzell, Mt. Säntis and many other mountains for hikes.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:08 AM

I agree with the others. We spent 2 nights in Appenzell and it was plenty of time to see the sights. We did not visit Stein am Rhein or St. Gallen, but I would assume that 4 days would ample time to visit the sights.

Tracy
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:28 AM

Ingo, please re-read my response. I specifically said that in St. Gallen the abbey and library are the biggies..and IMO they are about the only "biggies."
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:10 AM

St. Gallen (or St. Gall in French) is situated near Lake Constance.

No problem to cover four days there, if you like to spread your sightseeing to this region. The good news: Swiss railway system is quite effective, so do some research on this.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM

Oh, I am sorry, Intrepid! I was in a hurry (had to catch the bus to the office ) and misread your post. You are talking about St. Gallen only, not the whole region.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:57 PM

A tour of this area could also include the Rhinefalls and nearby Schaffhausen--a very worthwhile side trip. It's about 2 1/4 hours by train from St. Gallen to Luzern, so that would be a long way for a day trip. We loved the abbey library in St. Gallen--one of the world's most impressive small libraries--but I AM married to a librarian!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:07 PM

I haven't been to St. Gallen, but I spent a single day in Stein am Rhein and a couple of days in Appenzell. I enjoyed both very much. Stein am Rhein was charming. We enjoyed the Abbey Museum and the Wohnmuseum as well as the beautiful houses.

The single thing I remember most about Appenzell was the memorial outside the church recording the mysterious unsolved killing of two people(I think on a mountain) there in about 1920. I can't quite imagine living in a place where a crime of this kind is so rare that there's a memorial.