Search

Zagreb

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zagreb

We plan to be there in July for a few nights.

Any suggestions re best area to stay in (old town always preferred) welcome
We avoid bars and other night spots.
Cultural areas and parks welcome.
Cobblestone streets always welcome.

Areas to avoid?

We don't want to be in the heart of the financial district or near any factory type areas.

Charm gets high grades.
So do good restaurants nearby, especially rally for breakfast.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 12:38 PM
kja

The Best Western Premier Hotel Astoria worked well for me and had a great breakfast buffet.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 04:38 PM

We were there last September and stayed in a 2- or 3-star hotel on Vlaska Ul., about 3/4 mile east of the old town. The name of the place was Casablanca (US$81 at the time.). The hotel was clean, comfortable, well run with helpful staff, and had a great breakfast - but no amenities. There's a tram in the street but the walk to the old town isn't bad. They had parking for our car. We found it on Booking.com.

I don't think there are accommodations in the old town itself. And I don't recall restaurants near our hotel but there's a street full of them on the east side of the old town, on the way back to the hotel.

You don't need to avoid any areas in the old town / town center. Looked very safe. But exercise big city caution, of course. South of the train tracks looked like a residential and industrial area; we only drove through it. Can't speak to the north and west.

You can pretty much see Zagreb in a day. There was an excellent free tour that met "under the horse" (in the main square) and left at 5:00 PM every day. Ask at your hotel. The parks south of the main square were attractive and some of the architecture is good. But the main draw is the old town.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 04:52 PM
kja

Originally Posted by MichGuy
I don't think there are accommodations in the old town itself.
Perhaps MichGuy means the Upper Town? The hotel I mentioned above is in the 19th century part of Zagreb known as the Lower Town.

Originally Posted by MichGuy
You can pretty much see Zagreb in a day.
It would seem that that depends on what one wants to see and do. I didn't see everything I wanted to see in 2.5 very busy days.