drive from trogir to plitvice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a day to drive from Trogir to Plitvice. It has been recommended to go through Primosten and Sibenik so we will do that. From there, there are two alternatives, one with tolls and one without. Which way do you think we should go, considering we don't need to arrive in Plitvice until around 6pm. This will be our first day with a rental car, having used public transport until then. Don't mind paying tolls but also want to see something. Then again, what are the other roads like?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by sueger; Mar 12th, 2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 03:14 PM

The roads in Croatia are wonderful. You can make very good time on the toll roads and signage is excellent everywhere. Tolls are not particularly expensive and you can use a credit card for all of them. The two lane roads / secondary highways (like the Hwy #8) are in good condition but can be crowded, especially on the coast. Speed limits are lower and you will go through a lot of villages.

For your trip I would advise going along the coast to Sibenik; that will take about one hour plus stops. From there take the E65 north to where it intersects the E71. Near this point you can detour into Zadar although you probably won't have enough time to do much there. Pick up the E71 and take it north to the junction with Hwy #25. The trip on E65 / E71 will also take about one hour plus any stops and detours into Zadar. Take #25 to Hwy #1 and #1 into Plitvice Park.

We didn't drive on Hwy #25 but the terrain can be very rugged and I would allow two hours to get from E71 to the park. Again, I don't know this area specifically, but there may be agricultural villages along the way that were traumatized during the war and still in tough shape. You may see people selling produce and honey along the road.

I presume that you're spending the night near the park. You may need a little time to find your B&B. The one we used was 20 minutes from entrance #2. You'll really like the park. It's absolutely awesome.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 04:07 PM
kja

I skipped Primosten, and so can’t speak to that, but Sibenik is greatly underrated, IMO, and well worth seeing. I didn’t drive most of those roads, but did drive bits of some of them and it looks like most, if not all, of your trip would be on major roads – at least if you take the toll roads, which I would recommend. Some of the side roads, while very decent for driving, are rather twisty and turny and Croatian drivers seem to just love taking blind corners in the wrong lane. Do aim to reach the Plitvice Lakes before sunset -- as MichGuy noted, it can take a while to find the right place once there.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

ok Kja..you've convinced me to take the toll roads for the most part!! We will be reaching the Plitvice area well before sunset and have good directions to the house we are staying in. We will then spend the whole next day in the park and have looked at lots of people's advice on the best way to see the park. It looks gorgeous. Thanks for your advice!
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Good to know we can use a credit card on the toll highways. Probably will take the coastal road to Sibenik, although I am a little concerned about the crazy Croatian drivers now!!
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:40 PM
kja

Originally Posted by sueger
Probably will take the coastal road to Sibenik, although I am a little concerned about the crazy Croatian drivers now!!
I believe that road is fairly flat, so the craziness of many drivers might not pose the same difficulties as when in hills or mountains. Do you have to decide now? You might be able to ask people at your lodging....