Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Zagreb to Split...how realistic is Via Michelin time estimate?

Jun 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

On the Via Michelin website it gives an estimate of approximately 4 hours to drive from Zagreb to Split (based on other threads I have read I know to add an hour or more to those time estimates). It lists the E65 route to take.

I am aware that a new motorway (A1) goes from Zagreb to Split. I'm assuming this is different then the E65. If I take the A1 motorway will it still take 4 hours to drive from Zagreb to Split. Assuming I will be traveling the posted speed limit

Thaks for any information you can share!
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jun 6th, 2006, 06:36 PM

LCI,
I have no clue, but Im interested too, so this will top it. When are you going?
Well be driving from Rovinj to Split, and viamichelin lists this as a little over 5 hrs drive (429 km, out of which 137 on the same highway 65 you mentioned).

From what I see, Zagreb to Split is 4 hrs (391 km out of which 366 on the highway). Since your drive is mostly on highway, that gives you an average of about 100 km/hr or about 62 mi/hr.
I think 4 hrs might be about right. I would add some extra time for the non-highway roads, exiting Zagreb and finding your way in Split, but not more than 1 hr.

Now, for our drive, using the same math we get an average speed of about 91 km/hr (60 mi/hr) on the highway and about 80 km/hr (50 mi/hr) on non-highway roads. Based on the info from some other posts, the non-highway road goes through little towns and villages, so the 50 mi/hr average seems a little bit high.

From this web site http://www.ttfse.org/default.aspx?p=62&c=84
speed limit in populated areas 50 km/h
speed limit outside populated areas 80 km/h
speed limit on motorways 100 km/h
speed limit on highways 130 km/h

Any other info greatly appreciated. Thanks
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM

We are doing the same drive, Zagreb to Split in one month from now.

So topping also here.

I read the new autocesta gets you there in 3 hrs instead of 4 on the E-65.Can anyone confirm.

Is the drive a straight shot from Zagreb to Split. How is the exit labeled for Split?
Are there many exits for Split or is there only one?

Also if anyone knows once you are in Split, directions to the Hotel Park? I e mailed the hotel as well( just today), but perhaps here someone has done this already and would be willing to share.

Thanks a mil...

Jun 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

xyz and tripgirl,

Thanks for replies. I will be doing the drive mid-September (the 19th).

I had the same line of thinking that since my route is mostly highway that it would probably take 4 hours (give or take).

I've found 2 websites with Croatian highway information and they have interactive road maps that list exits, tolls, gas staions and rest stops along the highways. They are:

www.hak.hr
www.hac.hr

There is a english icon on the top right of the homepage when you click on it the site will switch to english. Very helpful!

Tripgirl, I'd love to hear about your driving experience when you get back, especially getting out of and around Zagreb! From the above highway websites it looks like it's a "straight shot" on the A1 from Zagreb to Split, seems to be the average highway (lots of pictures on the website). And from what I can gather there is one exit for Split. Sorry I can't help with the hotel directions in Split.

Thanks for sharing!
Jun 7th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Having driven various parts of the said motorway, but never a full Zagreb- Split route, I'd say 4-5 hours is a more realistic timeframe. You won't be able to do 100 km/h through the tunnels ( there are several along the way, 2 of them being quite long). All in all, it is a very enjoyable drive
Jun 7th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information teddybear!
Jun 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM

thanks all for the great help!!!!!
Jun 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM

We do it in 3 hours with low traffic conditions. If you are traveling in high summer, than it will be closer to 4-5. The highway is very nice.
Cheers,
Jan
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:02 PM

LCI,
Im sorry I dont want to highjack this thread, but teddybear and SloJan seem to know a lot about this..

So, do you guys know about a realistic drive time from Rovinj to Split? And when in Split, from the highway exit, would we find signs for the ferry? Thanks a lot
Jun 7th, 2006, 09:52 PM

XYZ, a very good time would be 5 hours but I would guess it will be closer to 6 or 7. The road from Rovinj over to the highway can be dreadfully slow due to tourists.

When you get off of the highway in Split, the port is well marked both by picture and by the work luka.

LCI, my time was actually on the A1. It is a beautiful road.

Cheers,
Jan
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

SloJan...

Thanks for the driving estimate. I'm glad to hear you are able to do the drive in 3 hours (conditions permitting).

I will be picking up my car in downtown Zagreb on a Tuesday morning (mid-September), so I'm hoping traffic going out of the city won't be too bad and once on the A1 it should be "smooth sailing". In my mind I am adding on an hour to negotiate getting out of Zagreb. So I'm telling myself 4 hours, then anything less is a bonus!

If you have any helpful hints or suggestions about getting from downtown Zagreb to the A1 it will be much appreciated. I haven't yet purchased a road map of Croatia but hope to do that in the next week or so.

Thanks to everyone for all the very helpful information!
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM

SloJan,
Thanks for the driving estimates and the other details. Well do this drive on a Sat, so well plan for 7 hrs (not counting the stops for lunch and for taking picures).

Are A1 and E65 one and the same thing? Or two separate highways? If separate, which one do you recommend? The directions I got from ViaMichelin use E65. How do we find A1?

Thanks
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:06 AM

The E65 is the coastal road and is beautiful but extremely slow. The A1 is also called the E71 and it is a new, very fast highway. It is a bit more inland. It ends at Split and was just finished in 2005 (I think). Anyway, that is the way we go. According to my map, The airport is right on the ring road so it looks like very easy access. I am sure that it will be well marked as the vast majority of visitors to Croatia are heading the direction you are going.

I rarely use Michelin for this part of Europe. We prefer www.maporama.com I did check their website and they recommended the E71 too.

Have fun! The roads around Ljubljana are clogged with lots of people headed that way. It used to be the Germans, Austrians and Dutch. Now, it's everyone.