Your cabin experience on Helsinki-Stockholm ferries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen many recommendations to take the Helsinki-Stockholm overnight ferry. The scenery sounds lovely at the beginning/end.

What I am wondering is what grade cabin have people experienced? The cheapest is below the cars. I've never slept on a cruise ship and wonder if being down there is uncomfortable? noisy? rocky? What makes it the cheapest place in the ship? I don't care if the cabin is small, but I don't want to pay $100-200 for a bed in addition to the ferry ticket and not get any sleep.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM

I have no problem sleeping down there. You will be in a cabin with three other bunks plus a shower. It is unisex. After enjoying the party upstairs until the wee hours you have no problem sleeping. On Silja Line I suggest the second seating for the buffet all-you-can-eat dinner, about $50.

Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM

It is not unconfortable. If the sea is stormy it is rocky, but so is the whole ship. But that is usually fall/winter, summers are usually calm. Noisy depends on how near the engines your cabin is.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:16 AM

Hi Kay,

I've done a few cruises and much prefer to be on one of the lower decks and close to the centre of the ship. This will give you less rocking then say at the bow or stern. You should find very comfortable as far as that goes.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM

The cheapest cabins below the cars can be very noisy, not just because motors, but also because "party people" stay there to save money - the bar closes around four and the after party is usually in the cabin.

I would recommend booking second cheapest grade (that means your cabin will be above cars and hopefully more quiet..)
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM

My comment <i>It is unisex.</i> is in error. The lower 4 bunk cabins are divided by sex.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM

The cheapest cabins are below the cars and trucks since the latter are affixed to the floor with a little give - and they make an awful lot of noise rolling around all night. Obviously you are below water level and have o views. Also, the one I took there were 4 minute bunks - 2 sets of 2 up and I couldn't stretch my legs out straight - and I'm 5'9&quot;. I had the cabin to my self and so didn;t mind using the bathroom. Since it's barely closed off from the room I wouldn;t be very comfortable using it with a group of strangers.

Took the trip again in the best class - and it was WAY more comfy - pretty windows to look out of - comfy seating fold down table for snacks if you want.